Black picture as result

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
DC87

Black picture as result

Post by DC87 »

Hi all!

Have following problem: each time I try to process some images, I get totally black picture as a result (see screenshot). What I do wrong?
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (73.18 KiB) Viewed 16128 times
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Black picture as result

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

DC87 wrote:Hi all!

Have following problem: each time I try to process some images, I get totally black picture as a result (see screenshot). What I do wrong?
Please install the newest 5.0 version and check if the bug persists:
http://www.heliconsoft.com/focus_downloads.html
DC87

Post by DC87 »

now it works :) thx)
Bernd Schreifels

Post by Bernd Schreifels »

My problem with Helicon Focus, under Mac OS X 10.6.3, issue, that the result is always a black picture! My Version of HF is 4.2.1 unlimited. I think, the problem is shown at the brightness. There is no variability at this Version. With 4.0.5 i get a fantastic result, but it's slower and not located.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for reporting this bug.
EdC

Post by EdC »

I also have this problem with my icensed version of 4.2.1 on OS X 10.6.3.

As far as I am concerned, the software is now completely unusable. Every stack (D3, D3X, D3S or S2) comes out a pure black with the brightness varying too much error message.

This has cost me a purchase of ZereneStacker I am afraid. Is there a bug fix suggested.

The only fix I have is to reinstall the programme (and clear the plist). If you do this it works once and then returns to the black state. It also seems to have chewd up my 64 bit licence as well.

Ed Constable
constable

Post by constable »

Stas,

Is there any fix for this one yet? It really makes Helicon Focus non-useable on the Macintosh.

Otherwise, thanks to everyone for a great product that worked really well

Ed
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We are unable to reproduce this bug but your trick with plist gives us a very important clue.

We suspect that the bug is caused by some changes inside of the program bundle. Please send us the program using following steps:
1. Go to /Applications/Helicon Focus.app
2. Right click on the file and choose Compress "Helicon Focus.app"
3. Send created archive by e-mail: support@heliconsoft.com

Please also check if deletion of plist without reinstall of the program does help or not. Always process the demo images so that we use the same images for our tests.
constable

Post by constable »

Dear Stas,

OK ... a bit more information for you. For me the effect is reproducible across platforms (MacPro and MacBook Pro) running OS X 10.6.3. It happens in 32 and 64 bit mode.

Deleting the plist (and the com.HeliconCo.HeliconFocus.plist and com.heliconsoft.Helicon3DViewer.LSSharedFileList.plist) has no effect unless you reinstall the programme. After deleting the plist and running the programme a new plist is written but the black screen persists.

Ed
constable

Post by constable »

Stas

Here is the exact error message

Brightness of images varies by more than 27602.8%. You may get better result by using manual exposure settings on your camera and stable lighting.

I also tried saving jpg and jp2 without any metadata. That doesn't help either.

And an update .. after the 4th reinstallation, it seems to be behaving perfectly on the MacBook! I can't break it at all.

Ed
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Ed,

Attached application bundle turned out to be modified. In executable were removed PowerPC and PowerPC64 architectures. But modifying executable file is considered to be cracking attempt and therefore prohibited.
Probably Universal binary "thinning" was performed with command
ditto --arch i386 --arch x86_64 [source.app] [target.app]
constable

Re: The culprit identified

Post by constable »

Dear all,

In my case, the guilty program is CleanMyMac. This attempts to do exactly what Stas says ... it tries to remove redundant system architectures.
If you use Helicon Focus and want to continue using it, do not use CleanMyMac ... at least not at the default settings.

Thanks for finding the problem Stas

Ed
knog17

Post by knog17 »

Greetings!

Somehow I ran into the same problem - using a Canon EOS 7D (FW 2.0.6) with Tamron SP 90mm (F004) lens and Helicon Remote 3.9.7 for Windows 10.
Lighting from desktop lamps, no flash.
Some images turn out just black:

What I can do to prevent it?
I'm not using any Cleaner Software.

Best regards
knog17
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It's very hard for us to give advice on this because the problem is in the camera body settings, not in our software. Check your exposure settings, switch the camera to M exposure mode. Helicon Remote does not alter your images, so it can't turn them black either.
knog17

Post by knog17 »

Hey Stas, thank you for the reply!
I've found the reason - it seems that it was just a dying camera in my case.
The 7D is at 420.000 shutter count and shows ERR30 since today.
So the black images were probably caused by a malfunctioning shutter curtain.

Best regards
knog17