Near Focus - Far Focus

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
b0bc0ssins

Near Focus - Far Focus

Post by b0bc0ssins »

Using my Canon 5d Mark II and the following procedure, I get the following message box:
"Positions A and B should not coinside. Please focus on the nearest object and save position as A. Then focus on farthest point and save it as B."
I can never get past that point.

2. Define nearest and farthest focusing points
• Use Focus Control buttons <<< << < > >> >>>to focus on the one nearest part of the subject. Click on the image to zoom in and out.
• Save nearest points so that the program remembers the starting position.
• Focus on the farthest part of the subject and save it as point to define end position.
• The program calculates number of images and interval automatically.
Any suggesions?

Bob Cossins
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Near Focus - Far Focus

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Can you please repeat this procedure and send us a log file (Helicon Remote menu \ Help \ Report a bug)

It looks like the focusing steps are ignored by the program. Another possible reason - you used AutoFocus button which resets A and B positions.
awgPhoto

Post by awgPhoto »

I've hit this problem trying to use Auto Focus. My logic told me to auto focus on the nearest point, press A to save and then auto focus on furthest point and press B to save. Simple. Instead, you need to use the focus arrow to manual complete the focus for A and B. Why does the Auto Focus work as suggested?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

AutoFocus is performed by the camera and the program looses information about focus position. So I recommend to use AutoFocus to define only first point and go to the next point with arrows.
R. Palmer

Post by R. Palmer »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:AutoFocus is performed by the camera and the program looses information about focus position. So I recommend to use AutoFocus to define only first point and go to the next point with arrows.
I'm using a Canon EOS T2i with a Tamron 90 mm macro lens. I have tried using Auto Focus to set the nearest position, and the arrows to set the farthest point. I have also tried manual focus to set near and far points. I get the same numbers for interval/number of shots. When I set the number of shots and interval manually, and enter 25 shots, I can only enter 1 interval, so I get two shots, both focused in the middle of the image.
In short, nothing I have tried works. The camera just does not respond to take the stepped sequence of focal planes.
Help,
Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We've had several reports indicating Tamron 90mm lens doesn't support focus movement in live view. You can check it by disconnecting the camera from PC and trying to focus in live view. If it doesn't move - there's nothing we can do.