Retouching - Source image not in Sync with output image

Report bugs and get support here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Retouching - Source image not in Sync with output image

Unread postby Fred64 » 02.07.2010 08:29

I am trying out Helicon Focus 5.1.8 and am using a stack of 3 images. In one of my images, the subject is vertically lower than the other two images. The program lines them up for the output image, but when I try to Retouch the artifacts from the input image that is lower, the circle cursor is above the place it needs to be. i.e. I put the green cursor on the antenna of the bee, and the corresponding white cursor of the input image is above the antenna. How can I line it up?
Fred64

Re: Retouching - Source image not in Sync with output image

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 02.07.2010 13:28

You may increase value for vertical adjustment (Prefences/Autoadjustments). You are also welcome to upload your stack to our server (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp.html) and we will check it.
Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Fred64 » 02.07.2010 18:20

Thanks for responding Quickly.

I already had turned up the Adjustment for Vertical & Horizontal position in the Preferences to the apparent maximum value of 30%.

I started to do a bunch of trials to figure it out. I am using Lightroom 3 and was exporting them with the x64 plugin straight into Helicon Focus. I shoot my images with Canon using the RAW format.

So I tried selecting the 3 images in RAW format within Helicon Focus, same result.

I then tried exporting them with the x64 plugin in Lightroom 3 numerous ways (different Formats & Color Space & Bit Depth).
- exported as JPEG - worked like it is supposed to, NO issues - exported as TIFF - does not work, on the Retouching Tab, I select the Source image to Copy from and the images are NOT lined up
and are out of sync
- exported as TIFF with Bit Depth set to 8 bits/component - and it works fine

Conclusion: Works with JPEG and 8 bit TIFFs, BUT Helicon Focus does not like the RAW format (16 bit?), or TIFF 16 bit!

I did check the product description and it says that it supports 16 bit and RAW. I am using Canon Rebel XTi

I hope that this can be fixed. I am liking your product very much except for this one major issue.

I am also comparing it with other Focus Stacking programs to determine which one I am going to purchase and I think Helicon Focus is very good, but could be improved by giving it the ability to use some very helpful shortcuts when Retouching.

Photoshop shortcuts:

Decrease the Brush size: [
Increase the Brush size: ]
Brush hardness - Softer: Shift + [
Brush hardness - Harder: Shift + ]

Some non-Photoshop shortcuts:

Zoom In and Out: Ctrl + Mouse Wheel
Change the Source image: Shift + Mouse Wheel AND/OR Shift + Left Mouse Button and move Mouse up and down
Move image when zoomed (Hand Tool): Ctrl + Left Mouse Button

Thank you for your time.

I just realized I posted this under the wrong section. This is Helicon Filter forum, and I should have paid more attention. I guess that is what I get for staying up way too late working on pictures. Maybe you want to move this over to Helicon Focus section in the forum.
Sorry.
Fred64

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 06.07.2010 13:15

Thanks for your comments. Please upload those three raw files to our ftp server (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp.html) , that seems to be the only way to nail down this bug. We will add the suggested shortcuts.
Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Fred64 » 07.07.2010 20:21

I tried running Helicon Focus today I got an error that said it couldn't process the RAW files. Then a window opened and said that there was a newer version available (5.1.9). I uninstalled version 5.1.8 and installed version 5.1.9 and tried running it.
It is working fine now. I tried the same 3 RAW files I had the problem with, and I also tried importing them from Lightroom 3 with the plug-in as TIFF 16 bit, and it works also. I am glad for that, and appreciate your time.

Do you still want me to upload the 3 RAW files, or could there have been an issue with my system when I first installed it?
Fred64

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 08.07.2010 11:51

We do not need the files anymore, we will not be able to reproduce the bug anyway. I am glad the problem is gone.
Stas Yatsenko

Return to Helicon Filter: Bugs and Support