Can't process DNG files

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
mtrac

Can't process DNG files

Post by mtrac »

I am trying out Helicon Focus 5.0 to determine if I wish to purchase it.
I am running on a windows XP sp3. 4G of memory.

I imported the photos from my canon 5d mark II flash card with the latest adobe dng converter. (haven't touched them beyond that.)
Imported with Compatibility: Camera Raw 5.4 and later.
Each file is over 20MB.

I have tried several different sets of photos, but keep getting the following error:
Adobe RAW Converter error. Other RAW converter will be used to open current image,
Disable Adobe RAW/DNG for RAW development.

It doesn't matter which button I choose (disable, or don't) this is usually followed by an error message for the source file with continue/abort buttons.

I've tried the jpg demo and it works fine.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Let me know if there is any other information you require.

thanks,
mike
mtrac

Re: Can't process DNG files

Post by mtrac »

20100314_flower_00225.dng - 20100314_flower_00230 has been transfered to the ftp site

Thanks,
mike
mtrac

Post by mtrac »

I managed to get through the processing (just kept clicking don't disable). I don't think it actually worked, but I thought I would save the file and have a look. It won't save the file. Complains about file size for unregistered software and claims it will resize, but doesn't. Just fails with an error indicating that file was not saved. (tried reducing jpeg size, that didn't work either.)
Also, it claims that the brightness of the images was over 58% and to use manual. All these pictures were taken with manual. ISO 1600, 1.6s f22 (wasn't expecting great shots on this try otherwise I would have reduced the ISO, but wanted to see if the software could deal with a bit of noise.)
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please set /3GB flag in your boot.ini file to give more memory to the application:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pl ... AEmem.mspx
mtrac

Post by mtrac »

Thanks Stas,

That didn't work very well. Modified boot.ini and added /3GB. Took me a couple of hours to get it running again (only worked when I booted from a recovery disk and removed the /3GB)
Seems like this should have worked since I'm running XP professional sp3.
System info shows
4,096 MB Total physcal memory
2.60 GB availabel physical memory,
My guess is that /3GB exceeded the 2.60 GB available physical memory. (I have no idea how it arrives at this number other than it must be the size of the kernel with other stuff loaded.)
Any other ideas?

(other than going out and buying a 64b computer :-)

thanks,
mike
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Mike,

Most probably this is memory issue and it can't be resolved on your current system.
mtrac

Post by mtrac »

That's what I was afraid of. I did a bit of research on why the 3GB flag might cause problem. Seems like it might be my graphics card or some other device taking up the memory.
I've been wanting to get a bigger system.. maybe I can talk my wife into letting me get a new 64b system (Ah honey, I can't process my pictures any more, they're just too big :-)

I'll try again once I have a better solution.

Thanks again,
Mike