Is the demo fully functional?

Optical microscopes + digital photography
click_clack

Is the demo fully functional?

Post by click_clack »

First off, I really like Helicon focus.

I installed the trial to see what I can achieve.

I did a close up on a tomato in the kitchen using one 300WS monolight and everything else in manual (ISO, WB, focus, shutter speed and aperture)

I did 49 shots with shifting focus gradually. While the sharpness seems to be ok I have a big problem with the brightness adjustment.

Unfortunately my Monolight didn't illuminate all 49 shots exactly the same therefore I do have a little difference in brightness.

I saw the in the preferences I can turn on (on by default) brightness adjustment but as it was already on I don't know what to do. I get a warning message saying that brightness was varying 19% so I don't know that to.

In the support section of the web site it shows a screen shot of the preferences and next to the brightness check box there is a percentage field to specify the max adjustment value I assume. In the demo that I just downloaded there is not such percentage field next to "brightness". Do I miss something?

The problem is that the tomato looks like it is sliced in dark and light sections - funny enough that it almost looks like as if every other frame was too dark (or too bright) for Helicon to adjust it.

I added lines to indicate where the dark areas are - you should see them underneath. I assume it's the light loss from the shallow depth of field. This was taken with a Nikon D90, a 20mm extension tube and a 50mm f1.8 lens.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Is the demo fully functional?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for your tests and the image.
Helicon Focus tries to adjust brighness of the whole image and I think that in your case the brightness of the different parts of the image changes by different values.
If you upload this stack as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp.html we will try to enhance our algorithm for such cases.