Bugs using 5DIV and Galaxy S9?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
knog17

Bugs using 5DIV and Galaxy S9?

Post by knog17 »

Greetings,
can anyone confirm these bugs?

I'm using the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and the Samsung Galaxy S9 (Android) with Helicon Remote.
When everything is connected and I'm in the HR focus panel on the phone, there's one thing that's not working right.
Everytime I want to move around the image after zooming in, the view jumps to another spot and moves from there.
So I have to move back to my selected spot. It's just a small thing but it gets a bit annoying when you do multiple stacks.
It would be nice if HR stays on the selected spot after zooming in and moves around the image just from there.

And I've also noticed, when I disable the display of my phone during stacking, after finishing it leaves live-view and the connection to the camera is lost. I have to turn the camera off and on again, to get a new connection.
When the display is not disabled during stacking, HR stays in live-view with everything connected and ready to do another stack.
It would be very useful if you could disable the phone display during stacking without losing connection, so the battery lasts longer.

But so far I'm very happy with my purchase and the mobile use of Helicon.
Any ideas how to fix these bugs?

With best regards
knog17
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Bugs using 5DIV and Galaxy S9?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

1. That's not normal. There was such an issue in the past, but we've fixed it long ago. Make sure you're running Helicon Remote version 3.9.7 (menu -> About).

2. The app does work in background, or at least does its best to stay alive and keep the camera alive as well. However, many Android apps used to abuse their ability to run in background and keep the device awake, so now Android may suspend the app and put the whole system into low power mode even when the app declares that it needs to run in background. That's what happens in your case, and there's nothing we can do about it. You can probably configure power saving profiles in Android settings; there may be a way to let specific apps run in background.
knog17

Post by knog17 »

Thank you very much for the reply!

Unfortunately, I'm already running the latest HR version.
But it still jumps every time as described. :(

Regarding the connection lost, I was able to put HR on the list of apps that are allowed to use unlimited power, but sadly it didn't change the behaviour.
Another way to save energy while doing large stacks is to just lower the display brightness. There's a quick slider for it on my Galaxy S9 so it's kind of a solution. Completely turning off the display would be better of course...

One other thing I don't understand:
Using a Canon EOS 7D with the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM @10mm/f8, Helicon Remote always sets an interval of 277.
For example I was using HR for a stack of only 2 images at a small range. But it took a very long time for HR to finish the stack, like 1 minute.
I've noticed that it must have something to do with the interval, everything was greyed and HR was counting down from 277 to 4...but why?
Unfortunately I don't understand what Helicon Focus Help tells about interval, I don't get what it does and why I have to wait such a long time for HR to finish the stack, which should be a very quick job with this lens and dof range.
Could anyone explain that to me please?

Best regards
knog17
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

How exactly are you trying to navigate the zoomed-in image? Perhaps, you're doing something that's not clearly recognized as the gesture you intended. Put your finger on the screen and move in the direction you want to drag the image. If you put the finger on the screen and keep it still for too long, it will be registered as a long tap instead, which is not what you want.
What about photo browser (Tools -> Browser), does image manipulation (zoom / drag) work there as expected?

As for your last question: what you see is 277 focus steps being performed; a short pause must follow each step or it won't be accurate. It just takes a bit of time. There's no such problem with Nikon because Nikon can cover an arbitrary focus distance in a single movement, while Canon can only do small individual steps.
There's nothing you can do about it (nor we).
knog17

Post by knog17 »

Thank you very much for the reply!
The jumping problem is still relevant. I tap on the image on a spot where I want to zoom in.
Then touch and move finger on screen for moving, but it jumps every first time.

The huge amount of steps, can it be that it is affected by Canon's STM?
Never noticed it on my other lenses, but it's the only STM lens I got.
It doesn't really matter anymore, I'm going to sell the lens, got a 16-35mm f/4L now for fullframe. :)

Here's another thing that happened to me lately, using Helicon Remote on my Android phone:
Sometimes after setting focus points, Helicon Remote didn't calculate anything, there were just questionmarks.
I never understand why it happens, have to restart both camera and Helicon Remote to get it working again.
What can I do to prevent it?

Best regards
knog17
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

This is because the app lacks information necessary to calculate the DOF (either aperture value or focal length value). This isn't really a problem, you can start shooting and the values should fill in after the first shot is taken. Or, you can open the DOF calculator and press the "refresh" button next to the focal length field.

However, I don't understand how you're getting into this situation, it shouldn't be possible. If or when you see that again, please send a bug report (menu - Feedback - Report a bug) with a short comment like "step size not calculated".