D810 Wireless hardware

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
noggin

D810 Wireless hardware

Post by noggin »

Dear forumites
I have a Nikon D810 and am looking for advice as to the add-on hardware required to enable me to use the functionality of Helicon Remote. I understand from the Nikon site that I will need the Nikon WR-R10 and the WR-A10 adapter to give the 810 Wireless capability. Does anyone have any experience of using this setup and comments on whether it gives full Helicon functionality?
I note that Nikon isn't famed for the functionality and value of its WiFi devices so I would be happy to consider 3rd party devices if anyone has any positive experience of its use with the D810.
Thanks in advance
Stas Yatsenko

Re: D810 Wireless hardware

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We have not tested the WR adapters. If some has, we'd be interested in learning whether it worked or not (and if not, a bug report sent from Helicon Remote might help us fix the problem). As for the third-party devices, we don't support them.
noggin

Post by noggin »

To answer my own question and for information to others who might be interested.
It appears that the WR-10 set-up for the Nikon D810 will not give control to Helicon Remote. I went through all of the set up procedures outlined in the help files, and although I was able to create a camera profile with Nikons downloadable utility and Helicon allowed me to enter that profile code (add Nikon profile) 'Make Active' was unselectable or had no effect. Nikon have subsequently told me that the D810 is not controllable with a mobile (even with their mobile app)
So disappointed as the remote software looks so useful_ I was hoping to shoot focus stacked botanical images in the field.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The fact that Nikon's app doesn't support it doesn't necessarily mean we can't. It's weird that you couldn't select the profile that you have already added into the program. Is it marked as "(Active)"? If so, then it is already active. If not, there could be something wrong in the app that we can fix.
noggin

Post by noggin »

Hi Stas
In the 'Select a Camera' mode I was unable to get any response from the 'add' button but when I clicked on 'Nikon Profiles' and 'add' I was able to enter the profile ID that the Nikon WTA had detected from my camera when it was hard-tethered to my computer. This profile has been retained by Helicon Remote (the screen shows Manual(Active) xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxx in white text (my cameras identifier displayed in this format) ) If I click on this it offers me 'Set Active' or 'delete'. Delete allows me to delete but the 'Set Active' button does nothing.
For what it's worth I had a response from Nikon which stated:
'With the D810 you will need to use the WR-T10 remote to fire the shutter remotely with the WR-R10 connected to the WR-A10 through the D810 ten pin terminal. Unfortunately there is no option to use the WMU app with the D810 camera body. The only option to use your iPhone to trigger the shutter is by setting up a HTTP server connection from your phone using the WT-7 and UT-1 wireless transmitters.'

I decided to return the WR-R10 & WR-A10 as I couldn't justify the £180 for kit that may not work in the way I had hoped. The WT-7 and UT-I are even more expensive!

Still I'm going to have a go with manual focus stacking and process with Helicon Focus!
Thanks for your interest!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I see. "Set Active" had no visible effect because the profile was already active, but it does seem that we can't support WR-10 because it simply isn't capable of doing what we need.
mrose

Post by mrose »

Why not use a USB cable (with android/windows)? More reliable than WiFi anyway.