Export high resolution depth map

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
fledder

Export high resolution depth map

Post by fledder »

hi there,

I noticed that when rendering in pyramid mode, in the progress window some kind of monochrome depth map is build up. It shows sharp areas using white lines. At the very end of the process, you get the full color result, and the depth map is gone.

However, this depth map is for some photos gorgeous to look at. I was hoping there is a way to export also that monochrome depth map image in original resolution? All I can do now is take a screenshot, but that's tiny.
BobStone

Re: Export high resolution depth map

Post by BobStone »

There are a number of export options on the Saving tab, including the depth map. The 3D model is quite interesting too!
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

Yup - certainly an interesting image, but I'm intrigued as to what the tones signify.
BobStone

Post by BobStone »

I would guess that's there a 'tone' for each image used in the stack, representing the in-focus region used to render the final image.
sbuerger

Post by sbuerger »

Hi,
there is no way to directly export that file (it's abbreviated "om"; I think this means "object map", given that the depth map is abbreviated "dm"). However, there are two ways to get to this file in full resolution:

In HF 6.x.x:
Configure a stack as you usually would, but put an additional picture at the bottom of the list which has a different orientation (i.e. a landscape oriented file under a portrait oriented stack or vice versa). Start rendering. The stack will be rendered as usual, but when HF comes to that last image, it will cancel rendering with an error message. As a result, the object map stays onscreen instead of being replaced with the resulting picture. If now you save your result, it will be that object map that is written into the TIFF or whatever file.

In HF 7.0 beta:
Simply let HF work its way through your stack. Save whatever result you want, then start an additional (different) stack, no matter if you need it, but leave the first stack in HF's output list. In the moment the second stack is started, the object map of the first one is saved into the cache folder in a full resolution TIFF file, so you can copy it from there to whereever you want. Note that files in the cache folder are deleted (partially) when you delete an output inside HF or (completely) when you quit HF.

The procedure in 7.0 is simpler (since you don't have to start a separate rendering process just for the object map); yet I would not bother to install the beta if you don't already have it since there are other problems in this version as long as it is not final yet.

Regards
Stephan