Rack Focus Speed

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
RFPhotog

Rack Focus Speed

Post by RFPhotog »

A number of years ago (perhaps back in 2013, or 2014) I posted a topic (or it could have been an email exchange with Support) about using the focus adjustments in Video mode to do a rack focus. Set the A and B points with the adjustment keys, then when recording video, tap the A and B buttons to rack focus between the two points. It works well.

At that time, there was a reply suggesting that the option to alter the speed of the focus change might be in the works. I'm just coming back to look at this again for a new video project I'm planning and it doesn't seem that the focus rack speed is something that can be changed by the user.

Was this idea implemented? If so, how do I go about adjusting the rack speed, because I'm obviously missing it.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Fisher
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Rack Focus Speed

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

What do you mean by rack speed? Are you referring to a macro rail?
RFPhotog

Post by RFPhotog »

Hi Stas,

No. I'm talking about video. When shooting video, the A/B points become 'live'. I can set up the two points then, while recording video, I can tap the A and B points to switch focus between the two points. That's racking focus. Or pulling focus.

I first mentioned this in a discussion with you for a book I was writing a few years ago. You implemented the ability for the A/B points to be live during video capture. You also said you were considering allowing the user to adjust the speed of that focus change. I'm just wondering if that was considered and tossed aside as unworkable, whether it was implemented and I'm just not figuring out how to do it, or whether it may still be in the works for a future release.

Thanks
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The actual speed of the focus movement is not configurable, only the distance is. So as far as I understand your idea, it's not doable.
RFPhotog

Post by RFPhotog »

Hi Stas,

Thanks. I know it's not possible now. It was something we talked about as a consideration for future development. I guess it was determined not to be possible. No worries. Appreciate the update.