Android tablet sayd 3.5, site says 3.8.4

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
dkperez

Android tablet sayd 3.5, site says 3.8.4

Post by dkperez »

I"m running Helicon Focus on a Windows 10 PC and Helicon Remote on an Android tablet. The version on there says 3.5. It's not consistent connecting to the Nikon D810. Sometimes I get a connection, sometimes not.

I thought updating to the current version (3.8.4?) might help, but when I go to the google store or whatever it is on the Android tablet it says it's already installed.

Is there an updated Helicon Remote for android or is the version the tablet shows, it? And if so, how do I get the current version installed?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Android tablet sayd 3.5, site says 3.8.4

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

3.5 doesn't sounds right, Helicon Remote version number always consists of 3 groups of digits (e. g. 3.5.0, but not 3.5).
You can check which version you have in menu -> About. I am not aware of any cases when Google Play would erroneously report that no updates are available, so I'm inclined to believe it.
dkperez

Post by dkperez »

On the Android tablet it says 3.5.0.

It works about 50% of the time, so it's usable, but if 3.?? is more likely to work consistently and less likely to crash regularly I'd like to upgrade.

How do I get the current update on this tablet WITHOUT uninstalling the current version?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

On average, the newer versions of the app are better. But individual experience may vary. There is no way to install the new version while also keeping your current one, unless you have the 3.5.0 APK file stashed somewhere (I don't, curiously. The oldest version I have is 3.7.3; however, some questionable websites that mirror Google Play content do allow you to download APK files for the older versions of numerous apps, including ours).
dkperez

Post by dkperez »

Thanks Stas,

I tried one of those other sites, and downloaded .apk files for a couple versions - 3.6.2 (or some such), and 3.8.4. Unfortunately, neither will install on the tablet - they both throw errors complaining that the file is corrupt.

And I can't get the "normal" installation to do anything since it keeps telling me I already HAVE it installed... Which, presuming the Google store has 3.8.4 (at least it says it does), and my tablet says it's using 3.5.0...

So, how do I get 3.8.4 and get it to install?

If I HAVE to, I'll blow away what's on the tablet, but I'd much prefer it do an UPDATE rather than the brute force of deleting the existing, working version, to hope that a new version will install.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It appears that your Helicon Remote is not installed via Google Play, that's why Google Play isn't able to manage this app (e. g. update it gracefully). You will have to uninstall it.
dkperez

Post by dkperez »

Actually, it was installed through Google Play. Not sure WHY everything is refusing to upgrade it. I finally uninstalled the thing and just installed 3.8.4.
Went on. Works pretty well. So far, it's connected every time I plug in the camera.

Unfortunately, I forgot I had a bunch of settings in the old one and now I'm trying to recreate them in the new one!

Worst is the thing I learned in here a long time ago about naming things so different sessions don't clobber one another. I'll find it somewhere in here.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Settings -> Saving.
By default, every new stack is a new folder.