Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
ngerard1

Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

Post by ngerard1 »

Bonjour, I own a Canon ESO 5ds, without native WiFi
It the SD card Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1, compatible with Helicon Remote installed on an iPad?
If yes, can I keep storing the RAW files on the CF card installed on the second slot in the camera?

I like Helicon Remote on my MacroStand, but I would like to go out to make unplugged Focus Stacking outside.
Thank you for your help
Gerard
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It's highly unlikely that an SD card adapter can offer any kind of remote control even in theory, so no, it's not compatible with Helicon Remote. One of the Canon WFT adapters is compatible with 5DS (WFT-7a, probably), and all WFT adapters are supported by Remote.
ngerard1

Post by ngerard1 »

Thank you for your answer.
Its a shame because the WFT-7 Canon is very expensive (abouyt 800€) and not reliable.
I will have to go for the CamRanger and its soft, working fine for less than half the price.
I am disappointed not to be able to use Helicon Remote with such a great camera, in the field.
stevemcbill

Post by stevemcbill »

According to Canon's descri[ption of the W-E1 card the Canon W-E1 WiFi Adapter will allow users of Canon's Camera Connect mobile app to be able to remotely control and trigger the camera. So perhaps it would be possible to add these facilities into Remote ??
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It may or may not work. We need someone with the E1 unit to try it out.
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

I have tried Helicon Remote with the 7D2 and the W-E1 card. It recognizes the camera. It says. Canon camera (detected... but then it just sits there and the wheels go round and round. It should not be rocket science to get this card to work with Helicon Remote since it even is supported in the free Cascable app...
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

A bug report may help (you'll find details in our reply to your e-mail).
DaveGilinsky

Post by DaveGilinsky »

Hi,

Any resolution on the use of the W-E1 WiFi adapter with Helicon Remote?

I have the 5DsR with the W-E1 and can confirm that Helicon Remote 3.9.1 will not connect to it from desktop, Android, or IOS.

If there's an open RFE, please pass along whatever tracking information you guys use, and I will happily add to the business case.

Thanks,

DaveGilinsky
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We have not made progress with W-E1. At this moment the application is not compatible with it. But it's something we keep in mind and intend to work on in the future (hopefully, near future, but no promises yet).
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

Hi Stas: Have you convinced your boss to buy, steal, or borrow the W-E1 yet for testing? Is there any debug stuff I could send from an iPhone to help you with the APP debugging?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We're discussing possible solutions. Buying W-E1 is not the problem; the problem is that it's only compatible with the $3500 body that we don't really need for anything else.

It might be possible for you to capture the data that we need and send it to us for analysis. I thought the procedure would be too complicated, but I've just found a solution that might be feasible. We'll try it on our end to see if it works, and if it does, we will contact you with a request for assistance. Either way, thank you for the offer!
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

It also works on the 7D Mark ii. Let me know what you need and I will get it to you.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, of course, there's also the 7D Mk II which I somehow forgot about.
Anyway, if you have about 10 minutes to spare, you can gather the info that will most likely help us fix the incompatibility with W-E1. What we need you to do is run the Canon mobile app and capture the traffic between it and the W-E1. It's not too complicated:

1.Connect your iOS device to your Mac via USB.
2.Get the UDID for the connected device from iTunes or organizer. To do that, navigate to the phone info panel (shown here: https://d2agp238gkp7mh.cloudfront.net/a ... fa19db.png ), click serial number to reveal UDID, then right-click it and copy to clipboard.
3.Open terminal in your Mac (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal).
4.type the following commands in the terminal (each line is a new command; press Enter to run the command). Substitute <udid> for the identifier you have just copied. You can use Cmd+V to paste both the UDID and the full commands into the terminal:

rvictl -s <udid>

sudo tcpdump -i rvi0 -w ~/output.pcap

5. If successful, those commands started recording the network traffic from your USB-connected iOS device. Now, run the Canon app, turn on the camera, connect them together and wait until the app fully detects the camera. Don't do anything else - don't use live view or take shots, that will only add unnecessary data that we'll have to filter out.

6. When the app has detected the camera and connected to it, stop the capture with the following command:

rvictl -x <udid>

Then press Ctrl+C for good measure.

That's all. Now please send us the output.pcap file located in your home directory.
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

Hi Stas. I have a PC and not a Fruit computer. I can run Wireshark for that interface and send you the pcap file if that would work?
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

Check your email for Wireshark captures