Issue using Helicon Remote on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Jean-LucB

Issue using Helicon Remote on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Post by Jean-LucB »

Hello,
I use Helicon Remote on this tablet to control a Nikon d810, connected with an USB cable.
Everything works perfectly, except that, if session folders are correctly created in the Pictures folder of the tablet, the images are saved mixed across the various folders (images of several session folders can be saved in a same session folder; images of a same session are saved in several session folders).
Then it's a nightmare to migrate and treat them on my laptop.
Do I do something wrong or is there a bug ?
Thanks to advise.
Best regards,

Jean-luc
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Issue using Helicon Remote on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I can't answer that question without seeing what you're actually doing.
A new folder is created every time you press "Start shooting", simple as that. A new folder is NOT created when you take single images with "Take shot" or "Burst shooting" tools.
Jean-LucB

Post by Jean-LucB »

I could track new sessions in details and could send you screen copies of the folders I get and of their content (with the time of images).
Would that make sense for you ?
Jean-LucB

Post by Jean-LucB »

I have reproduced the troubles and posted my feedback.
If I keep the images on the d810, everything is OK.
Saving the images on the tablet doesn't seem a relevant option with the d810 ? (maybe due to the size of the d810 files ?).
Jean-LucB

Post by Jean-LucB »

It looks as if when you start a session, image files begin to be transfered to the tablet disk, what can take a while depending on the image size.
If you start another session too quickly after le 1st one (what is easy, HR being so easy to use :)), the image transfer goes on in the first session folder but with image files, of same sames, of the next sessions ?
The bad point is that images are crashed by images of the same names before they are transfered.
That should not be too difficult to fix / prevent.
In between, let us keep the images (with the Nikon unique names) on the camera :) (what is the default option in the HR parameters).
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

What you're describing should not be happening. The only case when the app will download images upon connecting to the camera is there are dangling (not downloaded previously) images in the camera's RAM. That can only happen if you made some shots but the images failed to download for some reason. Normally, the image is pulled from the camera and stored in the proper folder strictly after each and every shot. Unless, of course, you switch to "Leave in the camera" mode, in which case images will never be downloaded.
Jean-LucB

Post by Jean-LucB »

I agree with you that it should not be happening, but it happened.
I had changed the HR parameters for RAW image transfer after snapshot to “move to the computer” (I don’t know the exact wording in English as I use the French version).
That was not at all a good idea, as (likely due to the size of the d810 image files), all images can’t be transfered between two too close sessions, and it looks as if all images of the 1st sessions not already transfered to the tablet are crashed by images of the 2nd session (due to the use of e same names for images ?) and the images of the 2nd session are then transfered to the tablet folder of the 1st session.... So images of several sessions can be found in the tablet folder of one session, and the very bad point is that images are definitely crashed.
I don’t know if I am clear, but the issue could be easily reproduced just by making 2 close sessions (less than 5 mn in my case; there were just about 10 images in every session) with a camera generating heavy RAW files (37 Mo per file with the d810).
Don’t hesitate to let me know if you needed more elements.
I hope it helps.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The file size is not the problem. From what you're describing, the app isn't working the way it should.
What happens when you shoot a single shot ("Take picture" button in Helicon Remote)? Is the image downloaded to the tablet? And what happens when you shoot one stack?

P. S. What do you call a session?
Jean-LucB

Post by Jean-LucB »

Hello,
My tablet has been updated to Android 6.0.1 and the issue persists:
. folders are correctly created for every stack on the tablet
. if several stacks are made, some images files of the latest stacks crash existing files of the same names in previous stack folders.

To avoid this I keep the image files in the camera (thanks to the corresponding record parameter) and I transfer the images from the camera to my laptop (and not from the tablet to the laptop, the tablet stack folders being corrupted). That makes the identification of stacks a little bit longer, but it's better than images crashed.

I don't know if somebody got the same troubles and if there is a better solution.
Thanks to advise,

Jean-Luc
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

No one else has reported this problem, nor have we ever managed to observe it ourselves. For one, the program cannot pick a file name that coincides with an already existing file, so it cannot overwrite files.
Unless your Android's file API is broken. That's the only explanation I can think of. Try the same on another device (Android or desktop, doesn't matter). I bet you won't be able to reproduce the problem there.