Canon EOS 80D

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Canon EOS 80D

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Stackshot is entirely irrelevant, having or not having it does not affect camera behavior.
EOS Utility absolutely must not be running when Remote is. Ideally, you should prevent it from starting up automatically. At least connect the camera first, close EOS Utility (along with any other software capable of communicating with the camera) and only then run Remote.
The symptoms you've described totally match a conflict with other camera control software.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We have supposedly fixed the Canon 80D / 1D X Mk II issue. Can you try the updated Helicon Remote version?
For Windows: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uKr ... UFSMkxjcVU

For Mac: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uKr ... VpBX3hGbnM

(Android update coming the next day if the change is confirmed to work).
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Updated the experimental version - this should work with "Leave in the camera" as well as "Move to computer". The previous one only used worked with "Move".

Windows: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uKr ... zJjR3NyLXc

Mac: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uKr ... WZ1Z3U5Z2s
ApoFenomeno

Post by ApoFenomeno »

What about iOS Support of the 80D?
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Have downloaded new version Version 3.7.1 W
Wouldn't run with 80D. (Haven't tried 700D with this version)
Then uninstalled all previous versions of EOS Utility (about 3), (which I wasn't using anyway having uninstalled the latest earlier) then the links,
then HR would run with 80D (Win 7).

BUT it doesn't step fine enough to use. With 18-55mm STM at 55 and f/8 focused at about 1 metre, the focus steps are too coarse so there's banding.
This is with interval =1.
That's no good, as better lenses are sharper at wider apertures.
Anything I can do about that? As a new user I don't know if that's 80D-specific.

So I'm reinstalling EOS Utility which will stop HR working, I expect.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

So I'm reinstalling EOS Utility which will stop HR working, I expect.

- it did, in that it seems impossible to stop EOS Utilities starting when the camera is turned on. Even if it's closed, then HR started, HR won't connect properly. The camera Device window which opens in Win 7 is set to "Do nothing" when the camera is detected.
Closing EOS Utility, "Image/Process" which still remains in Task Manager, does allow it to start & run.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

If it's at all possible to disable that EOS Utility feature, it would be in its settings.
If you need finer steps, switch the step size to small (Helicon Remote menu -> File -> Preferences -> Canon -> Focusing step size).

The iOS app will be updated in the next few days.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

If you need finer steps, switch the step size to small (Helicon Remote menu -> File -> Preferences -> Canon -> Focusing step size).
It's already "small", but the steps are too big, set to "1".
What determines the size of the smallest step? This is with a Canon STM lens, if that makes any difference.

---

Next question - is it right that it takes a couple of minutes to shift focus from farthest to closest??
I'm using a 55-250 STM with a supplementary. I need to check what I can focus on.
It's a pain when the lens itself can do it in a fraction of a second.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Sounds like the required step size exceeds the capability of the lens.
It's hard to say whether minutes-long focusing is normal, but with small step it might be. Go to Helicon Remote settings -> Canon and set focusing step pause to 80 ms to speed it up.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I've tried setting the time down to 50ms.

It just takes too long to get from one end of the focus range (this is manually) to the other.
I haven't found a way to make HR usable, from a laptop (i7 Win7).

It's a breeze with Canon software.