Trinamic + Microscope

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
TravisH

Trinamic + Microscope

Post by TravisH »

Hi All,

it has taken me way too long, but I finally got around to getting all the bits and pieces I needed to start automating my microscope focus stacking. I ended up getting a Trinamic controller board, and using my own stepper motor since it worked out a lot cheaper than doing the whole Trinamic unit.

I have just started to use it, and have to say I LOVE IT, the software is fantastic to use with the Trinamic controller, and with that and the combination of the live view I don't even bother using the microscope eye peices anymore, all done through the PC.

I have still got to learn how to get the best out of it, and clean my microscope lol but the first one I had a go at was a dark field for Harpacticus.

Well done on a great peice of software!
Attachments
20160416-Harpacticus (Clyde Basin).jpg
20160416-Harpacticus (Clyde Basin).jpg (61.75 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
MikeCT

Re: Trinamic + Microscope

Post by MikeCT »

Would you be willing to post the details on how you put this together?

Thanks
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Sure, I will try and take some pictures this week and share with the group.
perspectiveimage

Post by perspectiveimage »

I would be very interested in seeing how you actually connected the FTDI interface and the camera. It's not entirely clear to me what needs to be done from looking at Helicon's support pages or those from Trinamic. Just a simple block diagram would do if you could send that out.

Thanks,

Mark
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

What exactly would you like us to clarify? The software side should be simple - it's plug-and-play. Connect the camera via USB, connect Stackshot via its own USB lead (if you've got the current device, TMCM-1141) or via FTDI serial-to-USB converter (if your Trinamic is old). Launch Helicon Remote and start working.
perspectiveimage

Post by perspectiveimage »

Thanks. I'm just planning this out and thought that there might be more to it. I've just ordered the Trinamic board and cable and am anxious to try this. I love the latest versions of Remote and Focus. Helicon has done a really great job with the software!