Compatible with iPad?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
jmerecki

Compatible with iPad?

Post by jmerecki »

I'm looking to purchase Helicon Remote but cannot determine if compatible with Apple iPad? Any feedback I'd appreciated. Thx
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Compatible with iPad?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

There is no iOS version of Helicon Remote yet. We're working on it, but it will only be able to connect to cameras over Wi-Fi.
fstop

Post by fstop »

Any ETA on when this iPad version will be ready for release? I'm really looking forward to it, and I'm sure many others are too.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Soon, hopefully. We're already passing it to Apple for review.
fstop

Post by fstop »

Will the iPad version of Helicon Remote work with the built-in wifi on the Nikon D750?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It most likely will, but we don't officially support it yet because while several people have got it working, 1 or 2 encountered a problem that we don't yet know how to solve. By the way, the iPad app is already available in the AppStore, so give it a try: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/helicon ... ?ls=1&mt=8
chpcrvr

Post by chpcrvr »

I downloaded Helicon Remote for ipad and upgraded my iPad operating system. Do you have any instructions on how to establish the wi-fi link between my camera (Nikon D5300) and my iPad running the remote app?
fstop

Post by fstop »

Thanks, I downloaded it and attempted to connect with my D750, but no luck. Hopefully official support will be offered soon, it looks like a great app.
waynefreeman

Post by waynefreeman »

I was going to report that I couldn't get the camera connected, even though my iPad was connected to the WU-1 network, but I'm past that. I found the "Select a Camera" pane where you can add a camera ("D7100" for me) and enter its IP address.

This will be a very nice app. There are some pretty rough edges at this stage:

1. It doesn't retain the license key. I have to re-enter it every time I start or restart the app, which is a often. For that, I have to disconnect from the WU-1 network and reconnect to my home wifi and then reconnect to the WU-1 and then reselect the camera (if the WU-1 hasn't timed out in the meantime). I've spent most of my testing session reconnecting, restarting, re-logging-in and so on.

2. The normal method of quitting an app in iOS and restarting it causes HR to think that it was an abnormal termination and wants to report it. Doing that would, of course, require the same disconnect, connect, reconnect dance that #1 requires, so I haven't reported the restarts.

3. I haven't yet been able to take any photos. The app doesn't stay connected to the camera long enough. By the time I have the A and B focus points set and tell it to start shooting, HR has disconnected from the D7100. The iPad is still connected to the WU-1 network, however, so I don't know why HR has dropped the camera. "D7100" is no longer in the "Select a Camera" pane at that point, either, which requires another restart and all the other steps described above in order to refresh the camera list and allow me to select the "D7100" entry.

No criticisms here, just reporting what I've found.
chpcrvr

Post by chpcrvr »

I've tried both auto connection and manual add of my Nikon D5300 with my iPad and neither connects to the camera. I enter the ip address manually but it doesn't seem to matter.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Entering the IP address manual is the way to go with D5300, D7100, D750 etc. (anything that's not working via WT-4 or WT-5 external module). At least at this point. Make sure it's actually the right address. Probably 192.168.1.1, but not necessarily.
Thanks for reporting the problems with detecting exit as abnormal termination, we're looking into it. License: did you buy the app via Apple Appstore or registered through our site?

As for disconnects - turn live view off once the camera is connected. Tke a couple pictures. Is it possible to do that? How soon does it disconnect again (after how many pictures)?
waynefreeman

Post by waynefreeman »

Hi Stas,
Regarding connection, it's strange, sometimes it connects using 192.168.1.1 but sometimes it doesn't and connects using its gateway address, 192.168.1.2. Once I discovered how to connect, I haven't had any difficulty connecting to one or the other IP address. I just have to reconnect too often.

Re: The license: I downloaded the app via App Store directly to the iPad and registered by entering the key code I got when I purchased HF and HR originally. That works, I can tell, because then I can set the app to take RAW images. Problem is, I have to re-enter the license every time I launch the app which requires a lot of rigamarole.

I will try turning off live view and report. I thought live view had to be on.

Wayne
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Live view doesn't have to be on all the time. Either way, the program will turn it on if necessary so you don't have to be concerned with it.
We've found the problem with storing the registration key, it'll be fixed in the next update.
chpcrvr

Post by chpcrvr »

I seem to be making baby steps in trying to connect. HR does now list my D5300 in the camera select window but when I select it and try to connect I get the error message..

" camera refused connection. Check that an appropriate network profile is selected in the camera body menu for this network and same profile is selected in HR (Tools->Network Camers)."

I do not see a Network Camera option under the Tools menu. I also do not see a network profile listed anywhere in my camera body. What is a Profile ID and where would this be located?

When I manually add the camera I get a listing of that as well in the camera selection panel with the name I gave it but I get the same errors. I've tried both IP addresses 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.1.
dfikar

Post by dfikar »

I have separate HR licenses for both android and windows. Can I transfer one over to the iOS platform?