Remote software for Sony A7r

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
austrokiwi

Remote software for Sony A7r

Post by austrokiwi »

I have just started trying out your software. Its impressive but I would love it if you had remote software for the new Sony A7r.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Remote software for Sony A7r

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

There are no plans to support Sony cameras. In fact, it's unclear if it even supports live view tethering.
austrokiwi

Post by austrokiwi »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:There are no plans to support Sony cameras. In fact, it's unclear if it even supports live view tethering.

Sony provides software for both wired and wireless tethering for the A7r and its sibling the A7. Your comment suggests you aren't that familiar with the camera. Perhaps some research might lead you to realize your firm may be ignoring a substantive customer base. The A7r is a full frame 36mp mirrorless camera. I, and I am sure others will be as well, surprised you aren't looking at keeping up with the market.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Fair enough, the last Sony camera we've looked into was a99 and only NEX cameras were supported by the new Sony API at that time. We will probably look into supporting Sony cameras in the future, but not in the nearest future.
JMTB

Post by JMTB »

I was very surprised to read this thread. As I'm sure many others I have had to wait far too long for a high MP camera from Canon. In fact it hasn't even been announced yet!
Having invested heavily in Canon "glass" there was only one option: buying a Sony A7R. If you followed the press and the net you know this is a pretty wonderfull camera, usable with almost every type or brand of lense that was ever made.
So I would strongly suggest you expand your support for this type of camera, be it by cable or by wifi. Sony has made a working remote app in the PlayMemoriesSeries (don't ask me why they picked this crazy name) that reacts to touch focusssing but of course that is not nearly as precise as Helicon.
Good Luck!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We're keeping it in mind, but improving Canon and Nikon support is top priority at this moment.
victorwol

Post by victorwol »

Please!!! begging here.... the Sony A7R is a perfect camera for a studio without spending tons of money on a Nikon D800E or a studio high res camera, and perfect for those that have tons of Canon gear, or any other brand, basically any lens can be adapted to be used with this camera. It is a wonderful camera.
JMTB

Post by JMTB »

Another excellent reason for this plea is that Sony itself is merely producing useless in camera apps such as ..... a star trail time lapse movie! And I'm sure authors like Gary Friedman would be more than willing to pay tribute to a A7R extension of Helicon's applicability.
linedubeth

Post by linedubeth »

I love this post but I am sad for sony community i am a poor french user of sony alpha 580
dennishh

Post by dennishh »

I just want to add my two cents to the discussion about the Sony A7 cameras. I'm a working studio photographer who has used your software for many years now and think it is the greatest. Unfortunately I have uninstalled it from all of my mobile platforms and do not use it anymore because of switching to the the A7r for most of my work. I still have the Nikon D800 but as soon as Sony's next version of the A7r hit's the market I will sell it. You are in a unique position to provide a piece of software to Sony users that they cannot get anywhere else. Canon and Nikon sales have been diminishing while the mirrorless market is increasing by leaps and bounds. I like many other people on this forum am reinforcing the fact that we need your software on the Sony camera.
Thanks Dennis