Remote Android App, Galaxy S2 &, Nikon D90: Camera Not Found

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
techmuse

Remote Android App, Galaxy S2 &, Nikon D90: Camera Not Found

Post by techmuse »

Greetings! I am very eager to use the Helicon Remote App with my D90. I will attempt to provide as much information as I can as to my setup.

My camera is not found by the app. I may very well may not be turning on things in the correct order, or have a wrong setup, so here is what I have and the procedure that I am doing to connect the two.

CAMERA: Nikon D90 with Firmware version 1.006; The memory card has been formatted by the camera and is ready to use.

ANDROID DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy s2 (SGH-T989) running Android Ice Cream Sandwich version 4.03

TETHER: USB Mini-b (5-pin) male to USB Female A 1ft cable coming from the camera, and then this is connected to a USB Male A to Micro-USB B male, with the male end going into the phone.

Procedure:

I connect all the cables. With the Galaxy s2 already on, I then turn on the camera. Then I launch the app, which still has all of its default settings.

I have tried, under the DEVELOPER SETTINGS to ALLOW USB DEBUGGING.

Any suggestions to help my Galaxy find my camera would be most excellent.

-tm
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Remote Android App, Galaxy S2 &, Nikon D90: Camera Not F

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Turn USB debugging off (it might not be necessary, but there's no reason to have it on). The most likely reason for this problem is that your micro USB to USB A adapter is not an OTG adapter, which it has to be. You can check it by connecting a USB mouse or flash stick. If it works - the adapter is fine, if not - you have to find a proper OTG adapter.
techmuse

Post by techmuse »

You are most correct. The adapter was not OTG. I purchased one from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. Haven't had the opportunity to play with the app other than to determine that the app sees the camera now. Live view works, and its great.

I have a ton of rose bushes that are coming into a strong bloom so can't wait to do some focus stacking. Much appreciated!

Post by Guest »

Can someone post a make and model for a GTO converter that works with a Galaxy 2 and Nikon D7000?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Any should work, just make sure it's labeled as OTG.
Luis Seco

Post by Luis Seco »

Hello. Great app in theory, it's just what I was looking for. But I haven't been able to test it yet because I'm not really sure which cable(s) I will need.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and a Nikon D7000.

The cable I got right now is the one which came with the Samsung.

One end is micro USB and it connects to the Samsung. The other end is a USB male, which cannot connect to the camera because the port there is mini usb (female).

So, what should I buy?

Thanks for your answer and this (soon-to-become-when-I-get-it-to-work) great app.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You need a USB OTG adapter, it looks like this http://smartphonepedia.com/images/detai ... dapter.png
Or like this: http://androidhardwares.com/wp-content/ ... s.com_.jpg

You won't need the cable that came with the phone, that one is only for connecting to a computer.
GPappy

Post by GPappy »

I have the app on my laptop and it works fine with my D90. Loaded app on my Pantech tablet, which is where I really want to use it and the app indicates "no camera found". I have verified that my adapter is an otg. (attached trackball to tablet and works fine) Any suggestions?
Thanks and Best Regards;
GPappy
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

This means that your Android build has limited USB support. It can be fixed by installing a custom ROM with no such limitations.
GPappy

Post by GPappy »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:This means that your Android build has limited USB support. It can be fixed by installing a custom ROM with no such limitations.
Thanks Stas, didn't realize that was an alternative or even possible. I'll look into it.
nitro76

Re: Remote Android App, Nikon D90: Camera Not Found

Post by nitro76 »

Hi!

I have the same problem. "No camera found".

- Nikon D90
- OTG cable from Delock
- Android Version is 4.2.2.
- USB-Debugging = off

You have mentioned that it could be a limites USB support. How do you mean this?

Thanks,
Stephan
max

Post by max »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:Did you attempt the USB mouse test?
What is the USB "mouse test"

best
max
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Connect a USB mouse or flash stick. If it works - the OTG adapter is fine, if not - you have to find a proper OTG adapter.