Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Traceologue

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"?

Post by Traceologue »

Has some one experienced Helicon Remote with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" (+ USB adapter)? Does it work (USB controler and 1024 x 600 screen)? This could provide a small and light equipment for working in the field. :D
Thanks for advices!
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We believe it works fine. You might also want to consider Nexus 7.
Traceologue

Post by Traceologue »

Meanwhile, I have found a good opportunity on eBay; I shall tell you soon :) . The microSD card slot is missing in the Nexus 7, this is the reason why I have preferred the Samsung.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Just make sure it has USB host, and if possible, avoid various no-name Chinese tablets as those are often configured incorrectly and will not work with Remote.
Traceologue

Post by Traceologue »

Helicon Remote works well in the Samsung Tab 2.7 (factory setting, not rooted), but only with my Canon cameras (1000D, 1100D, 550D). The Nikon ones (D90 & D7000) are not seen and they freezes the software. The 7" screen is quite comfortable and the ergonomy is fine. Great work!
Traceologue

Post by Traceologue »

I made a short test this morning with the Nikon D90, after installing DslrDashboard 0.30.15 Beta. When running first DslrDashboard and closing it, then Helicon Remote sees the D90 and works fine with it. I didn't try with and without DslrDashboard after rebooting the Galaxy Tab for reproducing the cause-effect relationship. The main visible difference is that, when connecting the D90, Android asks whether I want to open the image viewer or DslrDashboard while Helicon Remote is not mentioned and cannot be selected as the one to automatically open when there is an USB connection (each time I try when manually starting Helicon Remote but without effect).
Last edited by Traceologue on 21.01.2013 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We're currently working on adding Helicon Remote to that list.
Traceologue

Post by Traceologue »

New test with Nikon D7000 and D90, starting directly with Helicon Remote after reboot. The system asks which software to activate for the USB connection: Image Viewer (the one with flowers) or DslrDashboard? I cancel and open Helicon Remote: the Nikon camera is seen and works as it should. I close Helicon Remote and change the Nikon camera. No longer question about the USB connection, I can open again Helicon Remote without any more trouble. I presume that there was a kind of conflict for the USB port with the Image Viewer which is now inhibited by DslrDashboard.

Only one small detail which would make Helicon Remote for Android more comfortable: to start with the highest JPG resolution (L), not with the smallest one (S) which is a nonsense with a SLR. This will prevent from involuntarily working in a poor resolution and from keeping this bad adjustment for further use of the camera.

Except this, the Android Helicon Remote is a great tool!! :D
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That is indeed a good suggestion. We've had this idea several times recently, but somehow it never makes it to the release version. We'll do it right now to make sure the next version won't reset image quality to the worst value.
As for USB problems: only one camera-related program can be running on Android at any time without problems. If two or more are running - they will conflict, resulting to malfunction of at least one of the programs. Some (quite probably, most) camera apps are made so that they will disrupt other programs even while running in background. Did you try using Nikon after reboot, making sure Remote is the only program running?
Traceologue

Post by Traceologue »

Yes, before installing DslrDashboard, I tried to use directly the Nikon camera after reboot but the system Image viewer was always automatically starting first, before I can run Helicon Remote. Even after I closed this image viewer it was impossible to link the Nikon camera to Helicon Remote. Such problem didn't occur with the Canon Eos cameras. Now, when the camera is detected, I have to choose between the image viewer and DslrDashboard; if I cancel, none of these is activated and the USB connection seems free for Helicon Remote. Well, this is my hypothesis, may be the reason is elsewhere.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We'll be adding Remote to the list of apps capable of handing a camera, perhaps it'll make life easier (you'll just have to select Remote from the list, and hopefully no errors will occur then).
gauravsinghh12

Post by gauravsinghh12 »

I can't say about Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 but It doesn't work my nikon D7000. Tried to get going the program first and then switch the consultant camera on and vice versa and "no camera found". Can't use liveview, though, so it kinda connects to the professional camera.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Is there any indication that Android detects the camera? Any pop-up message when you connect it? If the tablet can't detect the camera, our app can't either.
stuartw

Post by stuartw »

I know this is an old thread but I have the opportunity of getting a very cheap Samsung Tab 2. Problem is, when plugging my Nikon D7000 into the tablet, it's not seen by Helicon Remote or DSLR Dashboard. The only way I can get the tablet to see the camera is by using a powered USB hub....which kind of defeats the object really because I wanted to do some outdoor focus stacking without carting a laptop around. Did the original poster, Traceologue, have any similar issues?
Thanks
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Not that I know. Of that you should ask him.