halo issues

wsi

halo issues

Post by wsi »

I am still fighting with halos. I get halos before i am processed enough images to get my focus area correct. I have uploaded sample files to wingles. would you please have a look and see if you can see what I am doing incorrectly. Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: halo issues

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

This halo is due to parallax issues. You can easily check this: process the stack and then go though all source images. You will notice that relative position of different parts of the flower changes. That explains why Helicon Focus cannot align all parts of the image at once. So the only way to fix this is to use cloning brush to copy problem areas from one of the source images or from different part of the resulting image.
wsi

Post by wsi »

Thank upou for the quick response. To prevnet parallax i need to get the actual position of the lens further away from the object? To get the same picture I then have to use a longer lens? or tubes? or is parallax just part of the process regardless?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I think this is to do with movement of entrance pupil of the lens. Please see more on this here:
http://www.heliconsoft.com/forum/viewto ... 141&p=3579
wsingles

Post by wsingles »

Merry xmas

Helicon focus is a great progam for focus stating in conjunction with the Cognisys Stackshot rail.

I am doing a reasomable amount of focus stacking with your software.

http://inglesphoto.com

I am still struggling with preventing halos on flowers. I have also seen a weird abstract like melting effect from some settings, I am using Nikon 60 mm and 105 mm micro lens on a d800e. I try to take between 60 to 120 images of each flower with small step sizes. The depth of field on the Nikon micro lens at f11 or f13 are very small.

Any suggestions for better stacking output would be appreciated.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You have an impressive gallery! I doubt we can teach you something new :)

You are welcome to send us problem stacks, we would gladly analyze it. Please upload your stack to our server as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp.html
wsi

Post by wsi »

Uploading some sample files from a stack I am currently working on. I include a few result files at various settings so you can see the issues I am having. Perhaps my step size is not large enough or I just do not have enough frames. Retouching takes a long time to do when you start with a bad base.

ftp directory should be wsingles/wsi upload/ I do not use ftp enough to be sure...
Bill
wsi

Post by wsi »

sample files uploaded.
many times the focus stacking process works well then sometimes I am back to this halo type of issue.
This stack had a light variation of 30%
wsi

Post by wsi »

It would also be useful to understand if the light variation is real or not?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I think brightness variation is not real. This is might be due to magnification changes and the fact that flower takes more area on the black background. I do not see halo here, can you crop problem area?
gauravsinghh12

Post by gauravsinghh12 »

very many times the focus stacking process works well then sometimes I am back to this halo type of issue.This stack had a light variation of 30%
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hallo usually appears on smooth background around contrast edges and we usually recommend to increase Radius parameter when using method B.