Best Android Tablet to use helicon remote

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
tanguy

Best Android Tablet to use helicon remote

Post by tanguy »

Hello,

I'm looking for a tablet can i use to control my D7000
( i try the asus prime tf101 - not working with adapter cable - working with the dock )

Many thanks for any suggestion
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Best Android Tablet to use helicon remote

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We have no personal experience with new lines of tablets released in year 2012, we don't know which tablets require a dock-station or a special adapter to connect USB devices and which don't. We know for sure Remote works with Asus and Samsung tablets, should probably work with new Acer tablets as well (but don't have a confirmation on that yet), but some of those may require dock/adapter as well.
Ed_in_LJ

Post by Ed_in_LJ »

I just installed Helicon Remote on my Acer Iconotab A700 Tablet (ICS 4.0). At least all the basic functions appear to work fine with Nikon D800.
dennishh

Post by dennishh »

just started using Helicon remote with a new 16 gig Nexus 7 Google tablet. All functions seem to work will be doing some studio shooting with it tomorrow and will post some more.
tanguy

Post by tanguy »

and ...
:)
your test is ok

what cable do you use to connect you tablet google to the D7000

Many thanks
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You need a OTG converter or cable which normally costs about $2-4.
Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-OTG-2-0 ... 005QX7KYU/
But first please make sure that your tablet has USB host functionality.

Post by Guest »

I have been using it with a Toshiba Thrive, because of the full-sized USB Host port built-in. Works fairly well. Android 3.2 for now.
Rschlierbeck

Post by Rschlierbeck »

I have personal experience with two different tablets. The Toshiba Excite 10 and the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700. Both of these tablets work fine with Helicon Remote. The Toshiba Excite has the advantage of a micro USB port. To connect to My Nikon I used a simple USB OTG cable from Amazon. Cost was about $3. The Asus also works very well but you need to buy the ASUS USB adapter. Again purchased from Amazon but more expensive. Mine cost $16.

The USB adapter on the Asus Transformer Infinity is less secure than the OTG cable on the Toshiba Excite. It doesn't stay in quite as well and feels a bit awkward. However the Asus tablet itslef is a superior experience due to the superior display. I much prefer it to the Toshiba.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Scott
louiscar

Post by louiscar »

I'm using the Asus TF700 which I got a few days ago. If you get it with the keyboard then it's full size usb slot is much more secure than an OTG adapter (which I've not tried).
Operation seems ok but have had a few issues getting it to recognise my Nikon first time I connect. Eventually it does and after that it seems to work well enough.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Try different order of connecting the camera and starting Remote, some say it helps.