Tamron 90 macro not accepting commands

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
remltr

Tamron 90 macro not accepting commands

Post by remltr »

I have the Tamron 90mm macro. It won't accept commands for focus. It acts like the lens is set to manual.
This lens does not have a switch for auto/manual, it is a push/pull mechanism.
My Sigma 150 and Nikkor 60 work just fine.
Any info on compatibility with the Tamron 90 would be appreciated.
This is mounted on a Nikon D700.

Thank you.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Tamron 90 macro not accepting commands

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I can only suggest you to test it with Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 to make sure if this software or firmware/hardware bug.
remltr

Post by remltr »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:I can only suggest you to test it with Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 to make sure if this software or firmware/hardware bug.
Stas,

I tried Nikon CCP2 and it would not allow any focus changes either. Oh well. Guess I have to pony up for a Nikon 105 if I want to use this focal range with Remote.

Thanks,

Dave
Denis Leblanc

Post by Denis Leblanc »

I too have had problems with the Tamron 90 macro. I have the Nikon D7000. It would move with the remote program but ir would not return to the first focus point. It was always out of focus. I too will change to a Nikon 105 micro as I suspect the tamron as much as I like the glass, does not like helicon remote. It does work well as just a micro lens on the camera. Too bad as the price was right

Denis
jabba57

Post by jabba57 »

Hello

I have the exact same setup as you.
I also came across the same problem until I moved the Autofocus area mode switch from single point AF to dynamic area AF.

Hope this helps.
remltr

Post by remltr »

jabba57 wrote:Hello

I have the exact same setup as you.
I also came across the same problem until I moved the Autofocus area mode switch from single point AF to dynamic area AF.

Hope this helps.
I will try that later today and report back. You might have just saved me a thousand smackers. Although I kind of want to get the new 105 VR lens anyway. :D

Edit: Unfortunately that did not work for me. I was actually in dynamic area AF to begin with. I tried the other two modes as well with no luck. :(
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Maybe something should be changed in the camera settings?
remltr

Post by remltr »

It appears I have an issue with the lens. This is a push/pull Auto/Manual focus. I notice that getting it to auto focus sometimes requires multiple push pulls. I think it is defective and luckily still under warranty.

I was actually able to get it to cooperate with Remote. But I will probably be sending it in for repair.

Got this one with 17 shots at f11.
Attachments
Focus-Result-(B,-8,-4).jpg
Focus-Result-(B,-8,-4).jpg (146.87 KiB) Viewed 12063 times
F.K.

Post by F.K. »

remltr wrote:I was actually able to get it to cooperate with Remote. But I will probably be sending it in for repair.
How did you actually managed it? I just bought a 2nd hand Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 DI (272EN II) and operation with HR is a pain. Autofocus works sometimes but I cannot move the focus in small steps. When pressing the arrow keys in HR the focus jumps only once in either direction. No way to properly set a and b point. Is it a bug or a feature of this Tamron lens. I've noticed that some user in this forum had mixed results with this lens. Thanks for any suggestion/help.
F.K.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You mean that the AF switch does not work from the first attempt and you need to turn it on and off several times?

So were you able to get Tamron 90mm work with Helicon Remote?
remltr

Post by remltr »

F.K. wrote:
remltr wrote:I was actually able to get it to cooperate with Remote. But I will probably be sending it in for repair.
How did you actually managed it? I just bought a 2nd hand Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 DI (272EN II) and operation with HR is a pain. Autofocus works sometimes but I cannot move the focus in small steps. When pressing the arrow keys in HR the focus jumps only once in either direction. No way to properly set a and b point. Is it a bug or a feature of this Tamron lens. I've noticed that some user in this forum had mixed results with this lens. Thanks for any suggestion/help.
F.K.
I wish I had a definitive answer for you. I notice that in just handheld use, sometimes the lens won't focus when set to auto. It is like a contact is dirty or something, but cleaning the contacts has no effect on the issue.

When it is focusing using Remote, I sometimes have to use the <<< and >>> to kind of shake it loose. Live view which does not stop down makes it tough to visualize the focus points as well. Live view image can appear so overexposed that it is difficult to see any actual change in focus step to step.

If you find an answer please let me know.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Does pointing lens up or down makes any difference?
F.K.

Post by F.K. »

Problem solved! After talking with the local (german) Tamron Support I've send the lens to them and received it back in less than a week. It's now fully working either with Camera Control Pro 2 and Helicon Remote. YES!
While the lens was in repair I've found out that many current Tamron (and also Sigma) lenses can't properly autofocus in LiveView. Some users mentioned that this can be fixed with a lens firmware upgrade. Great customer service by Tamron: They've charged me nothing for "autofocus correction" even though my lens was quite a while out of warranty.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the update! This is good news for many Tamron users.