Rendering output dark and lacks color

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
dkperez

Rendering output dark and lacks color

Post by dkperez »

Nikon D850, but I had the same problem with the D810, so it’s not specific to the 850.

Windows 10 Pro, current LR Classic, current DNG converter, current version of Helicon Focus.

Feed a series of images from Lightroom leaving them as “Original” OR DNG. Run the stacking. When it’s done, the output in the window is dark and lacks color. If I switch to the Retouch screen the image is fine. Same thing when I go to Save.

If I send it tif files instead, it looks fine. But with NEF files or DNG files, the output in Rendering looks like the picture below… What do I have set wrong?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
(269.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Rendering output dark and lacks color

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You need to install new Adobe DNG Converter: http://www.heliconsoft.com/adobedng/
and setup the path to DNG Converter in Helicon Focus menu "Edit / Preferences... / Integration". In the RAW development settings under Source image list select RAW-in-DNG-out loader codec.
dkperez

Post by dkperez »

Maybe I wasn't clear, Stas.........

System IS running the current version of the DNG Converter - which is 10.1 and HAS BEEN running the current version of DNG Converter with each update for a VERY long time.

Preferences in Helicon Focus ARE set to point at the correct DNG Converter...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.25 KiB) Viewed 7020 times
Set of RAW images from EITHER a D810 OR a D850. Doesn't matter how many or anything else I've been able to fine. Add them to Helicon Focus, select Render "C", run it, and the output looks like crap....... Again, see the image of the Helicon Focus screen.
Capture2.JPG
(200.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
How do I get Helicon Focus to properly display the output IN THE WINDOW, NOT when Saving, NOT when Retouching.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Did you select RAW-in-DNG-out loader codec? What Helicon Focus version do you have?
dkperez

Post by dkperez »

If you're talking about the setting in Lightroom, where the export is set to .dng, yes. Here's the output:
Capture.JPG
(211.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If it's something else, you'll have to be more specific on how to set the RAW-in-DNG-out codec.

The version is 6.8.0, which appears to render D850 images fine, but the output on-screen is dark and poor. It SAVES fine, it's just difficult to see what flaws there are in the rendered output so I can determine whether retouching is worthwhile or the stack is garbage and should be tossed.

ALSO, MOST of the time, I'm NOT in Lightroom. I'm opening Helicon Focus, and adding the images to process. If the stack has flaws, there's NO point in putting it into Lightroom. SO, whether it's a D810 or a D810, I'm pulling .NEF images directly into Helicon to render.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I am talking about the setting in Helicon Focus.
Attachments
2018-01-26_11-14-30.png
(649.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sofiabovino

Post by sofiabovino »

Again, see the image of the Helicon Focus screen.