Importing ARW files

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
evolutionplantsman

Importing ARW files

Post by evolutionplantsman »

I have just downloaded the trial version of Helicon Focus and managed to create some quite good results on first attempt, so very happy. However, I could not import RAW files from my Sony Alpha (ARW format) and had to convert the files to TIFF in Adobe Bridge. Could you suggest a better workflow, so that I can export the stacked image back to Photoshop (I do not use Lightroom) for post-processing, ideally as a RAW file?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Importing ARW files

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please try different RAW converters. In the RAW development settings under Source image list you are able to choose RAW engine and its parameters.
evolutionplantsman

Post by evolutionplantsman »

For some reason, although I didn't change settings, I am now able to import the RAW files in ARW format and save and export back to Photoshop as a DNG file, which is great. However, in the RAW development settings dialogue box I do not get the menu options you mention or that I see in your video tutorial. The only options I get are 'CODEC' and 'Colour space'. See attached screenshot. Am I doing something wrong? Selecting 'RAW-in-DNG-out loader' under the CODEC menu seems to work fine, so maybe I am worrying about nothing but I don't seem to have the other menu options...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 09.33.47.png
(209.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The list of available settings depends on the codec currently selected. DCRAW has more settings while Adobe DNG only has color space option.