Blown highlights in output

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
DMBryant58

Blown highlights in output

Post by DMBryant58 »

Hi,

I have just started using Helicon Focus and have shot several stacks. After processing them I noticed that they all have blown highlights that were not in the original images. I carefully checked each source photo and reshot the stack with wide variations in lighting. I softened and reduced lighting to nearly nil but they still have blown highlights. Although these are 16bit tiffs PS CC can do little to retrieve the detail in these areas. Is there a means of adjusting the process so the stacked imaged has the same exposure and tonal range of the originals?

Thanks.

David
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Blown highlights in output

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I think this depends on RAW development setting in Helicon Focus. In the RAW development settings under Source image list you are able to choose RAW engine and its parameters.

If you still have the problem, please upload your stack to our server (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/) and we will see what is happening.
If you are user of GoogleDrive, DropBox, OneDrive or other cloud service, you can upload your files there and send us a link.

You are welcome to contact us via support@heliconsoft.com.
DMBryant58

Post by DMBryant58 »

Stas,

I have reviewed the RAW settings but did not see anything that would address post processing of curves, black/white points etc. I have reprocessed the stacks with <Highlights> set to both clipped and unclipped with no difference in outcome. Also, a newcomer to Helicon Focus and focus stacking in general, I have little understanding of what "Blend" or "Rebuild" settings do.

Furthermore, being that all initial source photos were properly exposed, wouldn't it be difficult to predict the final outcome of these settings? As stated above, I shot at several different exposures, including a very underexposed stack, with exactly the same result. It occurs to me that Focus is changing exposure/curve/black & white point regardless of the exposure of the source images.

Moreover, I could find no reference material defining these parameters or how to use them.

I have contacted Helicon Support with this issue but have not received a response...
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello David,

Sorry for the troubles, but we still need your source stack to tell more. Or at least one of the files.
Adjust Brightness checkbox makes the program adjust the brighness of all images according to the brightness of the first image.