Did i ask too much?

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
orac

Did i ask too much?

Post by orac »

I think I have asked a little too much this time but would like some thoughts on the situation

I was out for a walk the other day when I came across this skeletonised seed pod blew into my path, so I picked it up wondered home.

232 shots, nikkor AF-S 40 2.8G @ f3.5, 1/320s ISO 100, Nikon D7100. overall distance was 18mm taken 0.07783mm apart on a home built macro rail, overlap was 30% (calculated DOF was 0.1112mm)

I thought it would be a challenge due to its transparent spherical shape. Helico says there was 20% change in light, I was using a ring light and the ambient light did not change at all so I think that may have something to do with the light reflected from the object

I will try and get around to converting the images from nef to jpeg in next day or so and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any input.
Attachments
Skelotinised-seed-pod.jpg
(856.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Did i ask too much?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I would try method C here.
We need to test your files. Can you please upload them to our ftp server as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/
orac

Post by orac »

I did have a closer look at the images myself and found that the images of the front where not very sharp for some reason. I re-ran the stack for a better result but still not perfect (270 over 18mm this time), I may have need to add an extra 1mm of depth to the shot

I will upload the images for this stack, unfortunately the item has disappeared some where (not sure how as I haven't been in the room for a couple of days so I wont be able to re-shoot unless I can find where ever it has gone.

this was stacked with method c

Edit: Good news, I found the seed pod, downside uploading the current Jpegs is going to take a while - 1.47GB on my slow countryside connection is currently indicating 9 hours.
Attachments
seed-pod.jpg
(605.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the samples. It looks like method C is the best option for this stack. I would experiment with smaller and larger aperture. There is a chance that different background blurring will give better final result.
orac

Post by orac »

OK I will have a look when I get some more time, in the mean while I ran the stack with a lot more depth last night (26mm in total giving 336 shots), still at F3.5. It does seem better this time around. even though the subject was lit using a ring light mounted to the lens I still got variation in brightness warning and the light in the room did not change

the background was around 15cm behind the object - don't really know if the black card is the best background but that can be experimented with at some point too. maybe a diffuser over the ring light may help a too.
Attachments
Method-c-from-TIFF.jpg
(585.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I think the difficult part of this image is out of focus details. When you change the aperture, blurring will be stronger or weaker. I am not able to predict which one would give better results but it is certainly worth a try.