Old Elf

The place to post and discuss images. And the ways to postprocess them.
brentbristol

Old Elf

Post by brentbristol »

This photo was taken with a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L @ 24mm and f/8.0. It is derived from 12 focus planes x 9 exposure bracket shots. It shots were driven by Helicon Remote. The HDR files were pre-processed using Photomatix in batch prior to using Helicon Focus. I was quite impressed by how easy it was to generate and manage such an extensive set of shots.
Attachments
Deep stack with hdr
Deep stack with hdr
11-12-17_092508_M=B_R=8_S=4_ps_helicon.jpg (217.4 KiB) Viewed 8832 times
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Old Elf

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for sharing! 9 exposure shots? I thought 3 would be sufficient to get the hole dynamic range. Did you use flash for all those shots?
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Stas,

No flash was as used. Fewer exposure bracket shots may have worked but the tree was very bright and I wanted a +/-4 stop bracket to tame the highlights. It may have been overkill, but the Remote program was up to the task. On the +4 stop side I did have to adjust the shadow exposure away from the 30 second shutter speed. Remote complained about the data not being transferred in time. I was using the long exposure noise reduction option on the camera which takes a black frame for the same duration as the actual frame so that dark frame subtraction can be used in camera. I also used a 2 second delay, so there would have been an additional 32 seconds required for the acquisition. I think Remote may have trouble with 30 second exposures with long exposure NR because of these considerations.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for this feedback, we need to check again how Helicon Remote behaves with long exposures.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Thanks Stas, you guys are very responsive. It is appreciated.