How to deal with foreground object?

DivinePotatoe

How to deal with foreground object?

Post by DivinePotatoe »

Hi,

I'm making microscope pictures of an insect and I can"t get is eyes correctly.
The "helmet" is closer to the objective than the eyes and when the eyes are in focus the "helmet" is defocused and bleeding on the eyes.
defocus.jpg
defocus.jpg (184.66 KiB) Viewed 29482 times
Is there a workaround?

Note that this is a microscope so I can't change the aperture to get a different depth of field.

Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: How to deal with foreground object?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please upload your stack to our server (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/) and we will see what is happening.
If you are user of GoogleDrive, DropBox, OneDrive or other cloud service, you can upload your files there and send us a link.
dkfotas

Post by dkfotas »

I was wondering if you guys came up with a suggestion / answer re this issue. I am having the same issue when the foreground object "bleed" into the background objects. I also have an issue of a "glow" which seems to me to be the same issue - when the object is out of focus it appears to be bigger than when it is in focus. So there is a soft glow around the sharp image (see example below - glow around the stem that is directly in the center of the photo as well as around the droplets).

Any feedback would be most appreciated!
Attachments
DSC_7155 - Edited.jpg
(1.74 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please upload your stack to our server as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/
dkfotas

Post by dkfotas »

Hi Stas - sorry for the delay in my reply - I was out of town for the past two weeks.

Since this is the first time when I need to upload something to Helicon, I just want to make sure I clearly understand what I need to send you. When talking about "upload the stack" are you referring to the original RAW files that I used to create the image? There are 60 files there and including the edited TIF file, that is total of 1.6GB.

Is that what you are asking for?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You can upload .JPG source images.
dkfotas

Post by dkfotas »

Hi Stas - I have uploaded the stack as JPEG files - they are on your ftp site inside the zip file called "DSC_7155 BLURB.zip". (ftp://217.12.211.23/)
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for your images. This is mostly due to optical effect. I would recommend to decrease aperture to f8 or f11. This will also help to remove blurred areas which appear because focused areas do not overlap sufficiently.
From our tests, method C gives best results for the current stack.
dkfotas

Post by dkfotas »

Stas - thanks for looking into it! I will try your suggestions.