What Dslr's allow remote focusing?

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

dougdun

What Dslr's allow remote focusing?

Unread postby dougdun » 11.05.2007 10:30

With my Sony A100 I must manualy refocus the lens to sweep the focus range. This causes a certain degree of shake or movement to the camera between exposures. Are there any Dslr's that I can command the focus to shift using a remote? The camera would have to have at least a focus by wire cababilty I think.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 16.05.2007 12:58

I have not heard about such cameras. Anyway, this should not be a problem. Helicon Focus alignes images before merging them, so movements and shifts should not cause difficulties.

Bob J

Remote focus ability

Unread postby Bob J » 11.10.2007 07:13

The Canon 1D Mark III supports such a capability, and the new Breeze DSLR program supports it. I have not personally used it yet, but I am looking forward to doing so.

Unfortunately, the lens itself has to support auto-focus for this to wsork, so many macro lenses thay only support manual focus won't work - more's the pity.

Bob J

Starbuck

Focus bracketing

Unread postby Starbuck » 10.04.2008 15:03

The Leaf AFi will do automatic focus bracketing. You can set the camera to take 3, 5, 7 or 9 photos with the lens bracketing the focus.

There is an article showing the Helicon Focus software and the Leaf AFi at: http://tinyurl.com/4s47ab

http://www.camera-college.com/index.php ... 3&Itemid=1

BrianS

Later Canon's remote with Live View excellent

Unread postby BrianS » 08.09.2008 07:56

Probably well known by now, however just in case...

Canon's live view combined with their free tethered shooting program works a real treat. Focus steps are very small, with my 100 2.8 macro, I find I no longer need my focussing rail!! Plus I don't need to go near the camera.

An important tip. the lens needs to have auto focus turned on of course, however the camera will therefore try to errr autofocus - not good.

Solved by setting the custom function for the shutter button not to perform AF.

Brian

TheLion

Re: What Dslr's allow remote focusing?

Unread postby TheLion » 11.01.2010 19:55

The Hasselblads H3D's (tethered) allow such automatic focus adjustment -- but they do not call it autofocus. I.e., Hasselblad says there is no autofocus with the HTS (Tilt/shift) adapter. But tethered, you can adjust the focus forever on the computer screen and the lens makes the changes remotely. I suggested giving this a name so more photographers would know -- before they buy/rent -- that the system is capable of this marvelous function. I bought Helicon, however, to avoid the tethering in the field for my landscapes. Now I plan on manual zone focusing (with the HTS when I can use it) and making the choice of what to include in the stack during post production.

Stas Yatsenko

Re: What Dslr's allow remote focusing?

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 12.01.2010 14:07

Thanks for this information. We will check if Hasselblad has SDK to control the camera. We would be interested to add support for it too.

Return to “Shooting”