NEF settings taken into account ?

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

pfgbel47

NEF settings taken into account ?

Unread postby pfgbel47 » 23.08.2007 10:51

Hello,
I'm working now with the 4.65 version of Helicon Filter with a real pleasure.
I'm just wondering if some additional features could be added in the future..
When shooting RAW (NEF) with Nikon, the selected parameters for internal treatment (conversion in the camera) to jpeg are also taken into account when the conversion of RAW (NEF) are external and made exclusively with NX software !!
Could these informations present in the nef files be used in future release of Helicon Filter as being a "pre-correction" of the pictures ?
This is just a question but it would greatly speed up the whole process of raw conversion to any type of final file !
Your opinion would be welcome ...
Pol
(pfgbel47)
Photography is drawing with the light, capture it to show who you are !
http://www.geosolve.be

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 28.08.2007 22:01

Pol,

You mean that you want to use from-camera-jpegs as a target for RAW conversion?

We added "White balance and exposure as on the thumbnail" option in RAW params. This should do what you want as the thumbnail is the small jpeg developed by the camera.

I would appreciate if you give us sample raw file to finetune this option.

pfgbel47

RE: order in the tabs for conversion/processing

Unread postby pfgbel47 » 28.08.2007 22:34

Hello Dan,

Sorry my explanation was not clear, that's my fault.

When you specify specific parameters when shooting RAW with Nikon D200 these parameters are taken into account when processing the raw file (NEF) under NX Capture.

My suggestion was to use this specific information present in the raw file to process this (Nef) RAW file directly under Helicon Filter.
Normally these settings are used when you shoot both raw and jpeg at the same time, in jpeg they are immediately used to process (in-camera conversion) jpeg.

With all other softwares (except NX Capture) these additional infos are not taken into account for processing the raw file.

My wish is they could be under Helicon Filter.

>Pol<

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 29.08.2007 20:38

We rely on Nikon libraries in this matter.

I think NIkon SDK (software development kit) would have taken into account these parameters if Nikon developers really wanted it.

Ludwig

Unread postby Ludwig » 06.09.2007 10:10

I think I understand, what Pol means:

You can set certain parameters in Nikon SLR cameras like white balance, sharpening, noise reduction etc. These paramters do NOT effect the RAW data, but they are used for camera internal JPEG generation instead.

However, the settings of the parameters are (obviously) stored in the NEF-file anyway. The Nikon RAW converter (obviously) loads these parameters and applies them to the RAW data file immediately. They can be altered and optimized with the software.

Pols question (if I understand it right) is: could Helicon Filter load these parameters from the NEF file and apply them to the RAW data as kind of a starting point for the software. After loading a RAW file for the first time, Helicon Filter would have certain settings for noise, white balance, etc. already.

Regards

Ludwig

pfgbel47

Re-Ludwig

Unread postby pfgbel47 » 20.09.2007 08:22

Thanks a lot Ludwig, you perfectly understood what I tried to explain (with great difficulty, sorry...) !
It would be a starting point when loading the nef file in Helicon Filter even if you want to modify the "preset" afterwhile !
Thanks again for your help, impatient to read the answer about this point.

Pol

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”