Please have panoramas in v. 5.00?

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Ariel

Please have panoramas in v. 5.00?

Unread postby Ariel » 29.04.2007 20:52

One of the things which makes people go to Photoshop instead Helicon is that this program doesn't do panoramas. There is a pretty good shareware program, www.autostitch.net, which can do panoramas for free with little user input, but I am afraid I'm not getting the Helicon quality results. Panoramas are so important, it would be totally awesome if version 5 would have this.

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 01.05.2007 22:09

Hello Ariel,

photoshop is/was horrible for panoramas. Only masochists would have used it until very recently. The newest version, CS3, might be more helpful however.
There are so many programs out there which do a mediocre job creating panoramas that I get the impression panoramas are a job for dedicated programs like:

PTGui
panoramafactory
autopano
PanoramaPlus
panoramastudio
hugin

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 01.05.2007 23:57

Yes, I've heard that Photoshop is pretty bad. But if Helicon tried, they could make panos as good as from standalone programs.

redwoodtwig

Unread postby redwoodtwig » 04.07.2007 17:39

Several of the ones you mention in fact use autostitch as their underlying engine. I've been able to make very good panoramas with it, but would really like to be able to combine raw files instead of having to work with jpg only. I've found that sometimes quite a bit of adjustment with the autostitch parameters is needed and for me that is hit or miss as I don't understand the math behind it.

I'd be happy with a pass through where I could apply Helicon to a group of raw or jpg images and then have them passed to the autostitch engine, perhaps with a panel on the way that has all the adjustments one can make prior to firing autostitch. And maybe a way to opt for an automatic crop to the rectangle of image without the parts that fall outside the stitched image.

lutz wrote:Hello Ariel,

photoshop is/was horrible for panoramas. Only masochists would have used it until very recently. The newest version, CS3, might be more helpful however.
There are so many programs out there which do a mediocre job creating panoramas that I get the impression panoramas are a job for dedicated programs like:

PTGui
panoramafactory
autopano
PanoramaPlus
panoramastudio
hugin

lutz

free panorama software

Unread postby lutz » 16.10.2008 00:06

Microsoft offers now a free panorama tool - and it works very well and is super easy:
http://research.microsoft.com/ivm/ice.html

A way more powerful and a bit more complicated free panorama software is Hugin:
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”