Filter order

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Ariel

Filter order

Unread postby Ariel » 16.02.2007 06:09

1: If aberrations are calculated after color adjustments, why don't you see the color/brightness adjusted version when removing aberrations?

2: Wouldn't it make sense if the resize tab would be the first one after the source tab? Because everything should be editing the properly sized picture.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 16.02.2007 10:16

1. Aberration: actually the aberration is corrected the first. But we do not place it at the beginning of the workflow.

2. In ideal case user should define where to crop. Changing the sequence require a lot of changes in the structure of the program so we will make it during major update to v.5

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 16.02.2007 22:30

So I would suggest placing the aberration tab before the noise tab, or making it work after brightness adjustment.

redwoodtwig

Unread postby redwoodtwig » 04.07.2007 17:53

I agree with Ariel that cropping should be second. That way the other controls will be working on just the cropped part, I would hope. Once in a while I have to make fairly major exposure adjustments to see what I want to crop, but as a rule, I prefer to crop first, then make adjustments.

When I click on Save, I'd like to see at least a plain text list of adjustments that are going to be made in the order they are going to be made. If I could alter the order, that would be fantastic. Initially it can just be something like
1. Crop
2. Aberration
3. Noise
etc -- whichever of the tabs are going to be active. Later on a short string with cryptic numbers would be good, particularly if there were a pdf I could download that gave me some idea of what the numbers meant.

Dan Kozub wrote:1. Aberration: actually the aberration is corrected the first. But we do not place it at the beginning of the workflow.

2. In ideal case user should define where to crop. Changing the sequence require a lot of changes in the structure of the program so we will make it during major update to v.5

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 05.07.2007 20:36

Sorry, but this is not possible in the current version. But we are going to implement this later.

Please note that the settings which are applied to the image are saved. Later you can open filtered image and use menu command "Edit\Reprocess original image" to review settings or change them and apply anew to the original image.

pfgbel47

Order...

Unread postby pfgbel47 » 23.08.2007 11:03

I do not agree fully with this suggestion, I explain why.
Imagine you want to use the "distorsion" tab in you pp, this one creates often a new distorsion limited to a certain part along the frame of the image.
These new distorsions have to be removed from the final image by ...the RESIZE tab before you save. If you crop from the very beginning, the new distorsions will be present inside the part of the image you want to keep !
That's why I'm not sure this would be so interesting.
Reactions are welcome of course !
Pol
(pfgbel47)
Photography is drawing with the light, capture it to show who you are !
http://www.geosolve.be

BillZM

Unread postby BillZM » 23.09.2007 17:02

I'm not sure I agree with changing the order of the workflow either. It seems quite logical the way it is. If one were leaning heavily on automated corrections, I can see the logic of narrowing down to the intended image first, but then one can do that anyway by cropping and saving a new image before starting into editing if that's important for a specific image. I sometimes look to see what an automated setting (e.g. default noise or brighten or autocontrast) would provide but tweak it further for the specific area of the image I'm concerned with. Please think this over carefully before changing!

XDF

Unread postby XDF » 11.01.2008 23:44

I would feel much more home with Helicon Filter if the crop/rotate would be placed at the beginning of the workflow. It is hard to focus on colors adjustments, brightness settings etc. if there are lots of wasted photo space lying around. It would be logical to crop it off first. Then you see only the photo you want. And the histogram you see at the brightness filter would be based only on the effective photo area, not on the wasted photo space lying around.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 14.01.2008 16:57

I agree with you and in the version 5 of Helicon Filter you will be able to apply filter in the order you like.

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”