Dust remotion

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Juza

Dust remotion

Unread postby Juza » 03.12.2004 20:54

Hi Dan,
few days ago a friend sent me a very dusty photo (I think he scanned an old slide), asking me if there is a way to clean it.

I did some internet search and then I suggest him "Polaroid dust and scratch removal", a simple program specialized in dust remotion. The results are quite good.

I never thought about a "dust remotion" feature because I rarely have dust problems, but it might be a nice plus for future version of helicon....just a suggestion ;-)
Juza | www.juzaphoto.com

May beauty be everywhere around me

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 03.12.2004 23:13

Juza

it is not a problem to implement such feature. But we target our program at digital photographers and do not want to overload it with such features.
We will add retouching functions in the next version. BTW, which ones do you usually use? Clone? Blur?

Danylo

Juza

Unread postby Juza » 04.12.2004 20:02

Dan Kozub wrote:BTW, which ones do you usually use? Clone? Blur?

Hi Dan,

I use the magic wand, often combined with the blur tool, to select the BG and apply a slight blur to remove noise.
This technique is quite fast and I use it as an alternative to true noise reduction for relatively clean images(es. ISO 400 or iso 800 on Nikon D70).

I use the cloning tool to remove sensor dust (rarely) or to remove minor distracting elements (sometimes).

The paint bucket tool is also useful for some web images, for example product images where I want to replace white backgrounds with the BG of my website (a very dark gray). Example:

http://www.juzaphoto.com/news2/2004/sam ... /page1.htm

The camera phone originally had a white BG.

If possible, the tool should have a little of tolerance...i.e., it should act on all the pixel that have a very similar color, not only on the pixels that have exactly the same color. The majority of photos never have perfectly uniform surfaces ;-)

Sometimes I use also the other tools, and I'm sure that other photographers use them more, but the ones that I consider really indispensable are these three.

Last note: please, give us also many brushes (hard, soft, small, big) and the possibility to create an arbitrary sized brush ;-)
I still remember when I had only "Photoimpression 4" for the image editing. Its biggest brush has a diameter of near 30 pixel and, when I had to edit large areas, I had to spend hours on computer :?

Juza
Juza | www.juzaphoto.com

May beauty be everywhere around me

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”