suggestions color tools, noise

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Lutz_

suggestions color tools, noise

Unread postby Lutz_ » 10.11.2006 23:01

I am running the new HF 4.5 version and like the new spectral sensitivity tools ( sliders and equalizer). Applying them I noticed that for most images only a very gentle application is possible because stronger settings result in halo artefacts. I believe some other editors amend this problem by offering a feathering function for such color changes.
The same is true for the "change color ranges" tool. Feathering could have a different and complementary effect to the already provided "color tolerance".

For some images it would be great to have an "add noise" tool to re-establish some natural texture - in cases were strong denoising had to be used. It would be great if the noise could also be added with an equalizer.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 17.11.2006 23:16

You mean like in this picture? If you apply the same level effect over all the colors in a range, the problem seems to go away.
Attachments
colors tab spectral sensitivity effect.jpg
colors tab spectral sensitivity effect.jpg (189.46 KiB) Viewed 4922 times

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 18.11.2006 10:44

Jpeg compresses the chroma channels much more then luminance channel. On the original image you will notice that. But after amplifying saturation you will notice these artifacts at once. The only solution so is to filter color noise before applying spectral sensitivity.

On the noise tab you can set Noise reduction slider to 0 to keep all noise in luminance channel and kill it in chroma channels.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 19.11.2006 04:23

My method seems to work better than yours does, and that's why it's so important that people can easily make all sliders in a color group the same height. (Or maybe I'm just not doing your way right?) If I shoot in raw, will this effect not happen?

lutz

an example

Unread postby lutz » 17.01.2007 09:46

One (exagerated and most likely poor) example in which a feathering of the color selction would produce a more natural results. The color of the boxes was supposed to be changed. The color selction tool produces often selections with very harsh borders, thus allowing only minimal color changes.

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”