Guidelines rule of thirds

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Jan

Guidelines rule of thirds

Unread postby Jan » 18.10.2006 23:38

In the RESIZE TAB I would like the option of showing guidelines for the rule of thirds.

It's useful to achieve this: <quote>
PLACE SUBJECTS OFF-CENTER

Many people routinely compose photos with the main subject in the middle of the image. This approach produces a lot of photos that look rather static as if they were studio portraits. You can often produce a more interesting image by placing the main subject somewhere other than the center of the image. All easy way to keep this in mind is to use "the rule of thirds." Imagine the scene in your viewfinder is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically. To visualize this, pretend that a tic-tac-toe grid has been superimposed on the scene. Now compose the image so that the main subject of the photo is located approximately at one of the intersections of these imaginary "thirds" lines.

For instance, if a deer is the main subject of your photo, you might compose the image so that the deer is one-third of the way up from the bottom of the image and one-third of the way across from the left side of the image. You may also want to place prominent horizontal or vertical lines-such as the horizon or a large tree trunk - approximately one-third of the way from one of the four edges of the image. The objective of this rule is to diversity your compositions by consciously positioning your photo subjects away from the center. The rule of thirds is a simple guideline to encourage you to position important photographic subjects.
<end quote>

lutz

grid?

Unread postby lutz » 19.10.2006 03:17

Yes,
a good idea. An optional grid inside the resize square could be helpful.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 19.10.2006 10:01

We already done this in 4.50 beta version :) Though I am quite sceptical about "thirds" rule, I would be boring if all follow this rule :)

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 25.10.2006 05:02

Hello Dan,

when will HF version 4.5 or the beta be ready to go?

Dan Kozub wrote:We already done this in 4.50 beta version :) Though I am quite sceptical about "thirds" rule, I would be boring if all follow this rule :)

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 26.10.2006 05:33

I used to compose shots with the subject in the center, but for the majority of shots, I've found that using the rule of thirds actually does produce much better shots. You just have to know the rules of the rule of thirds, like, for example, the subject should be facing the center of the picture. 8)

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”