de-JPEG ? / opening JP2 files

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

lutz

de-JPEG ? / opening JP2 files

Unread postby lutz » 14.04.2006 03:12

Just in case you do not have enough to do, one feature which might be interesting to have in Helicon Filter would be a dedicated "de-JPEG" option to remove the blocky artifacts produced by the jpg compression.
Regular denoising works too, of course, but needs a lot of blurring. Due to the regular nature of the artifacts a dedicated modifcation of you denoising methods might be a lot more effective. (???)

My version 4.20 has an inconsistency regarding JP2 files. The file open dialog does not show any jp2 files if "all supported images" is selected. It shows the jp2's only if one specifically selects to display only them.

Best regards

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 14.04.2006 08:51

Lutz,

Thanks, it is good idea.

I was thinking about it some time ago, but I decided then the usual digital photographer did not have low quality jpegs as a source. I do not think your camera is producint jpegs with visible artifact. anyway, I will experiment with it.

jp2: will be fixed.

Danylo

lutz

web forums

Unread postby lutz » 14.04.2006 19:33

Hi Dan,

of course, you are right it is not a problem with my camera. But it would be useful in working with smaller images from the web as they are posted for example on discussion boards like DPREVIEW for experimenting and retouching.
Obvioulsy, it is not a necessary tool anymore.

Thanks
Lutz

Dan Kozub wrote:Lutz,

Thanks, it is good idea.

I was thinking about it some time ago, but I decided then the usual digital photographer did not have low quality jpegs as a source. I do not think your camera is producint jpegs with visible artifact. anyway, I will experiment with it.

jp2: will be fixed.

Danylo

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 26.10.2006 05:40

That's a good idea. Believe it or not, I do have a few files with obvious jpeg effects. Like the ones I get in emails. If jpeg reduction is possible, that would really be cool and terrific! It might even make some files produced on digital cameras with high compression (due to lack of space) look better.

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”