questions or requests: clipboard and colormode

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

questions or requests: clipboard and colormode

Unread postby Guest » 07.04.2006 21:25

two features that I cannot seem to find that would increase the efficiency of Helicon Filter:

- support of the clipboard; especially something like:
File>New>From Clipboard

- the ability to convert the colormodes of images; most important to convert an importet image from 8-bit to 16-bit, to be able to make use of Helicons 16-bit capabilities more often

have I overlooked these features somewhere?

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 08.04.2006 09:24

1. You can paste the image with Menu->Edit->Paste command or using Ctrl-V shortcut.

2. It is not difficult to add 8-16 convertion to our program. From my point of view it is not needed in most cases. 16 bit mode is useful if you want to "pull" details from the shadows. Once you have normalized the image, 8 bits are enough. In most cases original 8 bit images contain noise in the last 1-2 bits so filtered and clear 8 bit image will have superior quality.
Anyway, we will add it :)

Thanks

Unread postby Guest » 08.04.2006 23:50

Dan Kozub wrote:1. You can paste the image with Menu->Edit->Paste command or using Ctrl-V shortcut.

Thanks, sorry I could not find it.

2. It is not difficult to add 8-16 convertion to our program. From my point of view it is not needed in most cases. 16 bit mode is useful if you want to "pull" details from the shadows. Once you have normalized the image, 8 bits are enough. In most cases original 8 bit images contain noise in the last 1-2 bits so filtered and clear 8 bit image will have superior quality.
Anyway, we will add it :)

I suppose it will be usefull in case you apply lots of photo editing steps to the image to avoid posterizations?

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 09.04.2006 11:11

Helicon Filter works quite different from other editors.
All filters (noise reduction, distortions, etc.) are applied to 16 bit copy of original image. If you change filter parameters they are applied again to the _original_ image. So there is no pasterization.

Of course, you can apply noise reduction, save the image to 8 bit tiff, open it again and apply brightness filter. In this case pasterization is possible.

Good to know

Unread postby Guest » 10.04.2006 08:04

Good to know!

What else is unique to the Filter?

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 10.04.2006 08:49

A lot of things :) Main filters act quite differently as in other photo editors. For example, constast works as a S-curve, without pushing the pixels into the black or white. Retouching brushes are smart and have specific behavior.
All in all, many small things which make the difference between Pro tool and its Chinese analogue:)

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”