Color adjustment for shadows and highlights

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

marty

Color adjustment for shadows and highlights

Unread postby marty » 14.01.2006 05:51

The noise filter tab, for example, has many, many options, for color, highlights and shadows, etc. But the color correction tab does not have so many options.

I need to be able to adjust color separately for highlights and shadows.

Here's what happens. I shoot with flash in a large room that has ordinary incandescent lighting. The background is very dark. I use the brightness tab so that the background is not so dark and I can see a few details in the background. Now I can see that the dark background has a red cast, because it's lit with light of a lower color temperature than the lighter foreground.

To correct this I need to be able to apply different color adjustments to the highlights and the shadows.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 14.01.2006 13:42

The problem seems to be too specific to be added into the main interface, I think. The situation with flash is the only case when one would need it. Or not?

marty

Unread postby marty » 15.01.2006 05:36

As a matter of fact, it doesn't help anyway, because the darkest areas of the flash-lit foreground subject can be darker than the lightest parts of the background. So if the background redness is fully corrected, the foreground appears green. I know because I tried it in another application that can do that kind of correction. I'm sorry I ever made that suggestion. You're doing it right, after all.

marty

Unread postby marty » 17.01.2006 02:43

But there is a feature in Helicon Filter that should be able to do the trick: the change-color brush. It does well to start with, but it's hard to find exactly the right color. After trying several times and undoing as many times, I start getting internal errors and nothing works after that. I can't even exit the program; I have to kill it with the task manager. But after restarting and getting the color right, it works well.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 17.01.2006 09:32

we are fixing bugs in the current beta right now and the release version will be stable.

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”