General comments and some questions and suggestions

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

trondeh

General comments and some questions and suggestions

Unread postby trondeh » 11.04.2005 09:53

Hi!

As you say you have your own code for raw-conversion, might I ask what interpolation algorithm are you using for the Minolta MRW conversion? Also, what color-profile are you using? It seams that you use an interpolation that gives low-noise, but also a somewhat softer look.

I guess, you start to be tired of all my suggestions and questions, but as a professional software developer and photo enthusiast I see a lot of potential in Helicon. I would hate it if you only target the novice users, and not include features for more serious users. This is why I would like to see features such as better curves control, the possibility to zoom while adjusting brightness and colors and so on.

You have a great product going. The workflow idea is really a good! An input for the workflow: It is generally considered best to do the cropping as early as possible in the workflow. Would it be possible to have the cropping as one of the first stages in the workflow, so that all other adjustments are done on the cropped version of the picture?

Regards
trondeh

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 11.04.2005 15:23

trondeh,

first of all, I appreciate your feedback very much. You are professional and we want our program to be useful for professional.
There is also a tradeoff between features and usebility. I also do not want to make the program overloaded with douzens of sliders.

RAW: we use PolyView library to read the RAW files. For most RAW files manufacturer's SDKs are used. As to MRW, I think Polyview has it's own internal interpolation algorithms.

From my point of view, raw conversion should be as staightforward as possible. You shoot raw to have the full control over the quality. I want to get this image information without hidden sharpening, color correction and other "smart" staff. And then I have full set of controls in Helicon Filter to play with the image without quality loss.

Do you want me to add implicit sharpening to have crisper image after raw import? I do not think so.
I think there is no "best" interpolation algorithm. One works better for some image, the other is better for other images. My point is that the raw conversion should not introduce anything. It should keep as much information as possible.

trondeh

I agree. Hidden sharpning is bad

Unread postby trondeh » 11.04.2005 15:42

The results when applying the halo-less sharpening in Helicon gives good results.

What about cropping, what do you thing about having that earlier in the workflow process?

Best regards
trondeh

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 11.04.2005 16:10

Sorry, forgot about it.

In the new version we will introduce distortions (barrel, etc) and venietting correction, which should be done before cropping.

I agree with you that cropping should be done earlier, but we will not change it for now - to much should be remade.

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”