frames and picture size

Helicon Filter: Want new feature? Suggest it here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

tuvalu

frames and picture size

Unread postby tuvalu » 01.02.2008 21:27

First of all I have to say a big THANK YOU! I just love working with Helicon Filter. It really supports a creative approach to image improvement!

I do have some suggestions though. ;)

Most important is about Image size and frames. Right now, when I add a frame (say 200 pixels) to a picture (e.g. 1000x1000) the resulting picture will have the same size as the original (1000x1000) consisting of a reduced image (800x800) plus frame. I would like to have a switch (or perhaps there is, and I just didn't find it) saying keep the original image and add the frame (resulting in a new picture with 1200x1200).
I know I always use the original picture in a blurred version for the frame. But since a resizing is done anyway instead of decreasing the original image you might as well increase the blurred version for the frame. The loss of image quality in thís process shouldn't matter, since the image will be blurred anyway.

While I'm at it... :)
Although I no longer use it that way in my current workflow. But I would like to be able to decrease the picture size and at the same time freely crop the original picture. Right now I can either freely crop or, when decreasing image size I have to calculate the second dimension. I cannot simply use the mouse.
In a similar context. I often reopen a picture in Helicon, only to reduce it's size to 1024 pixel. I saved a setting for that, and it works great for landscape orientation. But when the pictire is in portrait orientation I always have to reset the value to 1024, which is a bit annoying. (By the way I set the mode for "reduce to longest side", Sorry I have the german version, I don't know the correct naming in english).
Also in this context. When I save the overall settings. The cropping will always be lost.

This is meant as a constructive criticism, to make a great product even better!!!

light...
Arne.

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 13.02.2008 01:55

Hello Arne,

these are suggestions I would like to see implemented, too. On the other hand, I would understand if the priorities remain on keeping HF as simple as possible.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 14.02.2008 16:01

Ok, see my answers below:

>Most important is about Image size and frames. Right now, when I add a frame (say 200 pixels) to a picture (e.g. 1000x1000) the resulting picture will have the same size as the original (1000x1000) consisting of a reduced image (800x800) plus frame. I would like to have a switch (or perhaps there is, and I just didn't find it) saying keep the original image and add the frame (resulting in a new picture with 1200x1200).

This is limitation of the current version and we plan to implement this differently in the version 5. The problem is that you choose resolution first and then add the frame. So the program should fit the image into target canvas. Yes, in some cases you do not change resolution but still, proportions whould be kept the same and this means that some part of image should be cropped.

>Although I no longer use it that way in my current workflow. But I would like to be able to decrease the picture size and at the same time freely crop the original picture. Right now I can either freely crop or, when decreasing image size I have to calculate the second dimension. I cannot simply use the mouse.

Hm, I will think how we can implement it.

>In a similar context. I often reopen a picture in Helicon, only to reduce it's size to 1024 pixel. I saved a setting for that, and it works great for landscape orientation. But when the pictire is in portrait orientation I always have to reset the value to 1024, which is a bit annoying. (By the way I set the mode for "reduce to longest side", Sorry I have the german version, I don't know the correct naming in english).

Ok, will check it.

>Also in this context. When I save the overall settings. The cropping will always be lost.

It is not a bug, it is a feature : ) As I remember the cropping should be applied only if the image has the same size.

>This is meant as a constructive criticism, to make a great product even better!!!

Your suggestions are always welcome! :)

Danylo

tuvalu

Unread postby tuvalu » 15.02.2008 13:58

Thank you for your detailed answers, Danylo. Now I'm desperately waiting for version 5. :D

> It is not a bug, it is a feature : ) As I remember the cropping should be applied only if the image has the same size.

Well actually I use the save feature to reuse the settings on the same picture but for a different processing in the raw-converter. So the image size is identical. It just would be convenient to not have to crop again. :)

light...

Return to “Helicon Filter: Suggestions and improvements”