Unable to convert Canon RAW to AdobeRGB

Report bugs and get support here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Unable to convert Canon RAW to AdobeRGB

Unread postby Guest » 02.09.2007 13:23

I'm trying to save some of my RAW files (CR2 files from Canon EOS 30D) as JPG with AdobeRGB color profile. I have set my camera to use sRGB, because that's what I need most of the time.

Now in Helicon Filter 4.70 Home I have tried all combinations of "Edit->Use color profile->AdobeRGB" and "Settings->Preferences->General->Use the following color profile when saving images: AdobeRGB". No matter what I try, when opening the supposed-to-be AdobeRGB image in IrfanView or MS Photoeditor, it looks exactly the same as the sRGB version of the same image. If conversion to AdobeRGB were succesful, I would expect the image to look less saturated compared to the sRGB version. If I use Canon Digital Photo Professional in the same way, the AdobeRGB image looks less saturated and lighter when opened in IrfanView. What I am doing wrong? How can I save images with AdobeRGB color profile in HF?

Thanks!

-Jarkko

firexball

Unread postby firexball » 02.09.2007 22:56

Hello Jarkko!

I think the "failure" is that Helicon Filter embeds the colorprofile and Canon Digital Photo Professional doesn't.
So, if you open an AdobeRGB imagefile of HF in IrfanView, the colormanagement of IrfanView detects this and converts the colorspace of the image to the colorspace of your Monitor (normally sRGB).
If the DPP image files doesn't have a colorprofile embeded, IrfanView thinks, that the image is in the default sRGB colorspace and displays the image "directly" wrong.

So, this is not a failure, it's a feature.

In DPP you can also embed the colorprofile. In the "convert and save..." dialog, there is a checkbox "Embed ICC colorprofile in image". If this checkbox is activated, there should be no difference between the HF and the DPP image in IrfanView.

Greetings firexball

Unread postby Guest » 03.09.2007 20:48

firexball,

Thank you for clarifying this! It helped me to investigate this further. However, I'm still not convinced that I have the color profiles right. I have been comparing the files from HF also with MS Photo Editor, MS Paint and even Firefox: no difference between sRGB and AdobeRGB images, but I don't think those applications support color profiles and would do the AdobeRGB->sRGB transform on the fly(?)

Besides, when saving the picture in DPP with AdobeRGB color profile embedded, it still looks flat in my IrfanView, so I reckon that even my version of IrfanView (3.80, no plugins) doesn't support the profiles. Now I'm trying to find some freeware tool which would tell what color profile an image file contains; any suggestions of such a tool are very welcome :-)

-Jarkko

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 04.09.2007 12:15

Hello Jarkko!

We will check this. Helicon Filter shows which profile is embedded and it seems there is a bug in the program. We will fix it in the coming version.

Unread postby Guest » 04.09.2007 14:27

Hi Dan,

Did you mean that saving with AdobeRGB doesn't work in 4.70, or that there's only a problem with showing the information of embedded profile? Can you estimate when the next version would be out?

-Jarkko

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 05.09.2007 16:44

I suspect that profile is not properly applied. I expect new version to appear at the end of September. I will be away for the next two weeks.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 07.09.2007 20:07

Problem fixed. New version is on the server. The profile was not applied if there was no embedded profile in the image.

Return to “Helicon Filter: Bugs and Support”