Large Files WIll Not Process

Report bugs and get support here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

defettachez

Large Files WIll Not Process

Unread postby defettachez » 24.08.2007 18:49

I use a Better Light scanning back and yesterday downloaded Helicon Focus to help with photos of small toys cars that will be printed as banners at a trade show.

The original files from the scanning camera are between 250 - 350 MB in 16-bit color.
I made about 4-6 focus changes per photograph.

One photo had 5 images at 304.2 MB each (8646 pixels x 6078 pixels). It procesed as expected with great results.

I have tried many times, however, to process another photo that has only 4 images, but the file size is 350.8 MB (10,058 pixels x 6078 pixels). It will start processing, go through the progress for the first image and then say "Ready"...but NO IMAGE is noted in the Output box and the Save button is greyed out.

I tried using only two of the images, but no success, so I am guessing there may be a file size or pixel maximum for the image itself, not so much the number of focus variations.

There are many of us using scanning backs for all types of high end photography, from commercial products, jewelry, architecture, and art reproduction where the added depth of field would be a great tool.

Please advise on how to deal with these large files.
Thanks

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 28.08.2007 21:41

Yes, file size is problem because win32 application can only use 2Gb of RAM even if you have more installed.

I know that is not a good solution but the only fast one. Use 8 bit quality. You will not see the difference unless you are going to pull out details from the shadows. If this is the case then normalize the brightness first and then merge the files.

We will check again if it is possible to decrease memory consumption in Helicon Focus.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 28.08.2007 21:49

One of possible solutions: allow the application to use 3Gb instead of 2Gb.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pl ... AEmem.mspx

We will try to add support for this in the coming version.

Return to “Helicon Filter: Bugs and Support”