Fuji raw issues

Report bugs and get support here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

darkroomdevil

Fuji raw issues

Unread postby darkroomdevil » 03.12.2004 09:55

hi,

I am very impressed with the noise filter program. I downloaded your 1.61 Pro demo and now the 1.73 Pro demo. I am on the edge as to what part it would play in our workflow (I have a Portrait Studio) - I will put thoughts and suggestions in the suggestions section - this post is to report two problems with raw.

Problem 1 - We do all of image browsing and viewing in a program called Breeze Browser. This is a great and very fast program for vieiwing, renumbering, selecting images and rotating (what we use it for). Here is the web site for Breeze Browser if you want to download the demo to see this problem in action - http://www.breezesys.com/

After rotating the images in Breeze Browser (it rotates the embedded jpeg I beleive) helicon strtetches the image, here is a sample of the stretch ...

If I unrotate the image in Breeze Browser it opens normally

Here is a link to the original raw image after rotating if you need a fuji one to test this

http://www.eleakis.com/helicon/original_turned.RAF

Problem 2 - THe lightest tones blow out, helicon's brightness equalizer shows the lightest tones that I have circled at the very far right - no matter how dark I set the brightness or how low I set the contrast ...

Here is the conversion done with the fuji software with which the lighter areas of the photo do get darker.

Good luck with everything, you are definently headed in the right direction

Roger
[/img]
Last edited by darkroomdevil on 03.12.2004 17:50, edited 4 times in total.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 03.12.2004 10:12

Roger,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
My comments:

1. RAF and embedded jpeg. I think it is a problem of Breeze Browser, they do not change proportions after rotation of the raw file. I cannot download original raf file to test it.

2. Both brightness and contrast are non linear transformations whick act like gamma in other programs. I most cases this enables to preserves highlights and shadows frow loosing while changing contrast. In this case you can use Brightness equalizer. In the next versions we will add more intuitive instruments to deal with this problem.

Danylo

darkroomdevil

Unread postby darkroomdevil » 03.12.2004 17:53

Dan,

I fixed the problem with accessing the file ...

And I understand the highlight issues - since one of the advantages of shooting raw is being able to adjust for exposure errors I am sure this is on your todo list ;)

Roger

Return to “Helicon Filter: Bugs and Support”