canon 7d and helicon remote problems

Report bugs and get support here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

mnelson3

canon 7d and helicon remote problems

Unread postby mnelson3 » 03.12.2012 05:07

I just purchased helicon focus pro.

In running helicon remote ver. 2.5.8 on a macintosh running os 10.7.5 and using a canon 7d with tokina afx pro 100mm macro lens I am getting the following problems:

1-at bottom of the helicon remote window it says MLU is off, but it is set to on in the camera..remote still takes pictures ok (i can hear the mirror going up and down between shots), but appears it doesn't show correct MLU status.

2-auto focus feature on nearest point does not seem to be working correctly; it picks a focus that is not very good at all; but auto focus with camera disconnected from remote appears to be working fine, however.

3-the highlight focused area(s) function appears to work somewhat erratically--sometimes I can see the highlight, sometimes not as I adjust focus with the << or >> buttons; e.g., a given spot might show a highlight, then as I go past that point, then reverse and come back at it from the other direction, the highlight does not appear.

I shot a test stack with 3 flowers bunched together...remote only took 4 shots even tho the distance from front to back was on the order of 2 inches; front of lens was 10 inches from closest point of flowers...

Stas Yatsenko

Re: canon 7d and helicon remote problems

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 03.12.2012 14:33

1 and 2: please try the latest version: - http://www.heliconsoft.com/downloads/HeliconRemote.dmg
Keep in mind that it tries to autofocus to the point you have clicked on.

3: It's not supposed to happen with Canon (since live view picture resolution is high enough), since it does happen you might want to lower sensitivity: File -> Preferences -> Focus highlighting -> low sensitivity.

It shot exactly as many shots as was specified in the "Shots" input field on focus bracketing panel. Use DOF calculator to make an educated guess on the number of shots needed, figure out the correction factor for your setup as explained here: http://www.heliconsoft.com/focus/help/e ... R_DOF_CALC

mnelson3

Unread postby mnelson3 » 04.12.2012 03:09

the latest version of helicon remote resolved some of these issues...the screen still claims that MLU is off, even tho it is on...but it takes pix ok...seems that my cropping issue with portrait orientation may have been resolved with this new version, as well.

but a new "bug"--when I click the DOF button and set it, afterwards, the auto checkbox rechecks itself...I thought setting DOF would over-ride the auto setting?

remote sometimes hangs when I try to quit it, and I have to use force quit on the mac to restart it...

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 04.12.2012 13:22

It's not a bug. The DOF calculator configures the settings for auto mode.

Could you please send a bug report when having trouble closing Remote?
To avoid the problem, disconnect/turn off the camera first then exit.

Return to “Helicon Filter: Bugs and Support”