Helicon Filter won't work on my computer

Report bugs and get support here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

cyberdiva

Helicon Filter won't work on my computer

Unread postby cyberdiva » 11.04.2010 23:47

Having read some enthusiastic remarks about Helicon Filter, and knowing that BitsduJour is about to offer a deal tomorrow (Monday, April 12), I downloaded both the last free version and the beta of version 5 to try them out. To my dismay, I can't get either of them to work on my computer, a Dell desktop running Window XP Pro with SP3. I first tried the free version, but after the splash screen appeared, nothing else happened. I couldn't get the program to show itself or do anything except close. I uninstalled it via the Control Panel and installed the version 5 beta. That one was even worse. It apparently has a transparent splash screen that would not disappear from the screen, and there was no program in the taskbar that I could click on to close. The only way I was able to get rid of the splash screen was to kill the process in Task Manager. Oddly, in Task Manager, I saw to my surprise that there were TWO HeliconFilter.exe files actively running. I can't imagine why. I killed them both, and that finally got rid of the splash screen.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea what's going on? I can't recall ever having such a problem before.

Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Filter won't work on my computer

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 12.04.2010 14:26

It looks like both programs have the same problem on your computer. We do not have similar reports so far. I would appreciate if you help us to locate and fix this bug. After that, if you still like the program, you will be able to purchase it at the same price as from BdJ.

It would be helpful if you install and run Helicon Focus. We have to know if the bug is there too.

cyberdiva

Unread postby cyberdiva » 12.04.2010 20:16

Thanks very much for your offer to extend the BduJ price. I'd be happy to try to help identify the problem I've been having. I should add that last night, after using a restore point to be sure that no vestiges of either version were still on my computer, I downloaded another copy of the beta 5 version and tried to install it. I had exactly the same experience as before. The splash screen appeared but nothing more, and there was no way to get rid of the splash screen (i.e., no program icon in the task bar or the system tray). Rather than resort to killing the process with Task Manager, as I had done before, I decided just to get rid of the program, this time using Revo Uninstaller's Moderate setting. To my surprise, even after Revo claimed to have uninstalled the program, and even after I had removed the Registry keys it had identified, the splash screen was still there! Finally, I restarted my computer and that finally got rid of the splash screen.

What do you suggest I do (in addition to trying to install Helicon Focus) to identify the problem? I won't be able to do anything now, but I hope to have time either later tonight or tomorrow.

cyberdiva

Unread postby cyberdiva » 13.04.2010 03:34

I have now downloaded and installed Helicon Focus. I did not have any problem installing it. The splash screen, which is similar in appearance to that of the version 5 beta of Helicon Filter, stayed on my screen for a few seconds and then disappeared. Also, even when the splash screen was visible, so too was the rest of the Helicon Focus program, whereas when I tried to install Helicon Filter, I never was able to see anything but the splash screen. I'm not sure what to do now to try to identify the cause of the problem with Helicon Filter.

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 14.04.2010 12:07

Please contact us at support@heliconsoft.com so we send you a test version to locate this problem. I would appreciate if you help us fixing this bug.

cyberdiva

Unread postby cyberdiva » 16.04.2010 16:02

Hi. I sent a message to the support address you provided, but I've not received a response. If you didn't get the message (or have decided you don't need me to help identify the problem), please let me know.

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 19.04.2010 11:43

We are preparing test version with the debug message for you. Please wait a little.

Return to “Helicon Filter: Bugs and Support”