Problem with very large picture

Report bugs and get support here

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

tuvalu

Problem with very large picture

Unread postby tuvalu » 09.02.2009 11:14

I have stitched a panorama using hugin. The result is a tif-Image of 9519x4088 and 283.04 MB (38.9 MP, TIFF_PACKBITS, 16B/channel). For the editing process in Helicon Filtre (4.92) I would like to keep it this size.

When I open it everything seems fine. I go to the scaling tab ("Skalieren") and set the right crop. In the framing tab ("Rahmen") the cropped image is displayed (which is renderred from the screen version of the image I guess).
The problems start in the retouching tab ("Retusche"). Here the final version of the image has to be created before retouching. So the program starts to render the final version until about 80% and then seems to fail. The effect is, that the non-cropped image is displayed. When scrolling in magnified mode the screen is only refreshed after clicking into the zoom-control. Applied retouching steps are counted, but no effect can be seen.
Going on to the saving tab ("Speichern") Doesn't change much. Again only the non-cropped, non-edited version is displayed on screen. This can be saved, even as jpg. But still not edited, not cropped...

When after saving (I don't switch to the saved image!) I go back to retouching, then everythings fine and I can retouch and save the cropped/retouched picture. So there seems to be a bug since after saving once Helicon Filtre can handle this large picture...

Edit: The last step only seemed to solve the problem because I saved as jpg and by this the picture was converted to 8bit/channel. This seems to make it small enough for Helicon Filtre to handle. When I save as tif (and this keeping the 16bit) the problem remains.
Strange too, that saving as jpg changed the internal represantation to 8bit, so that the next saved tiff also was 8bit without any notice.

By the way, it would be great if it was possible not only to convert from 8 to 16bit with Helicon Filtre, but also from 16 to 8 bit...

light...
...Arne

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 10.02.2009 15:39

Thanks Arne. We only do minimal bug fixing in the current 4.x version of Helicon Filter. I hope there will be no problem with such files in the coming 5.x version.

tuvalu

Unread postby tuvalu » 10.02.2009 21:25

Hehe, I hope so too! :)

I really like working with Helicon Filter and I would love to be able to work on my panoramas with it too.

Light...
...Arne

Return to “Helicon Filter: Bugs and Support”