Nikon D5100 Will Not Focus

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
VXero

Nikon D5100 Will Not Focus

Post by VXero »

I'm a new user so there is probably a simple reason for this problem. My camera will not focus in Helicon Remote. No movement at all.

Focus Mode: AL-S
Release Mode: S
Switch on Lens set to "A"

It focuses fine when Remote is disconnected.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Nikon D5100 Will Not Focus

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Usually, this is caused by the specific focus mode not working under remote control. Try other focus modes, starting with the most basic single-shot mode your camera offers.
VXero

Post by VXero »

I assume that when I press the "Auto Focus" icon, the camera should focus. I tried AF-A, AF-S, and AF-C with single frame release mode. None will focus from Helicon Remote. The camera will focus with all of these modes when the cable is detached from the computer. Also, this may not be relevant, but when the cable is disconnected, my choices for auto focus are AF-S, AF-F, and MF.

Under File-Preferences for Nikon:
Size of focusing steps: 15
Limit maximum amount of continuous focus movement: No
Max mount of continuous focus movement: 75 (grayed out)

I checked my firmware and it is up to date.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, it should, focus and I don't recall receiving similar complaints about D5100. I think if there was a global problem with this popular model we'd know about it, so it could be that the problem is with your specific camera body settings. Have you tried clearing them?
Also, do you have a different lens to try? Are you using a Sigma lens, by any chance? Old Sigmas don't work in remote control mode.
VXero

Post by VXero »

I tried resetting the camera and using another lens. Still nothing. I did notice, however, that when I moved the curser across the live view, the curser image was the same as the Auto Focus icon. Weird. Yes, I didn't realize that I had to click again on the part of the object in live view that I want to focus on.

I told you it was something simple.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I see! Should have asked about that, my mistake. Glad to hear you've figured it out and the function is actually working.