Canon 77D and iPhone 6 Connection Problem

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
captaindon130

Canon 77D and iPhone 6 Connection Problem

Post by captaindon130 »

I have a Canon 77D and want to explore focus stacking. I downloaded your trial software "Helicon Remote" and "Helicon Focus" onto my desktop. But what I really want to do is to use the remote application on my iPhone 6. I have been able to use "Camera Connect" to communicate over WiFi with the two units but when I try Helicon Remote it cannot connect to the camera. Is there some step by step method of connecting these two devices using Helicon remote? Thanks in advance.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Canon 77D and iPhone 6 Connection Problem

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

1. Make sure no other camera-related apps are running, especially Canon Connect. You may need to uninstall it if you have it (in some cases there's no other way to prevent it from "stealing" control of the camera).
2. Run Helicon Remote.
3. Clear the Wi-Fi settings in the camera body, then re-activate Wi-Fi. Choose the EOS Utility mode if your camera is Canon 80D, 5D Mk IV, 6D Mk II, 7D Mk II, or newer. Otherwise, choose the Smartphone mode.
4. Make sure the camera is turned on and Wi-Fi is active (look for the Wi-Fi icon on the camera body screen).
5. Connect your computer or mobile device to the Wi-Fi network created by the camera.
6. Switch back to Helicon Remote and Press "Select a camera". You should see an "Auto-detected Canon camera" item. Tap it once to pair.

Tell us which step doesn't work, and what exactly seems to be going wrong.
captaindon130

Re: Canon 77D and iPhone 6 Connection Problem

Post by captaindon130 »

These instructions appear to be very similar to the ones I got trying to connect to the iPhone that I answered on an email. They worked sometimes but not stable. I have now changed to tring to connect to a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet to see if that works. I also have an Android device but not that familiar with the O/S.

I am starting a new thread based on the tablet and will start with your suggestions. Thanks.