Various issues with Helicon Remote, new user, support needed

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Ingoo51

Various issues with Helicon Remote, new user, support needed

Post by Ingoo51 »

I purchased your Focus and Remote products to help me with some product shooting I’m doing. I’m shooting with a Canon 5D III, Canon 100L IS Macro, a very sturdy tripod, and product table. My setup is relying on studio strobes for exposure, not ambient. I have the camera and lens set to AF, the camera is in Manual exposure mode, single shot, single shot AF (not continuous or servo etc). I ran into some problems getting this working… I have emailed support twice and received now reply a week later.

Firstly, I’m able to set the A and B focus limits. Happy to do this manually, without using the Autofocus function in the Remote software as I find the AF function in the software very inaccurate when using strobe setups. The Remote software advises that 3 (sometimes 4) shots are needed, and I can focus rack between Point A and Point B. I then tell the software to Start Shooting and all appears to be going well. However, the resultant series of shots are all focused at Point A and does not rack through the focus range. When the shooting series is done, the focus is at neither Point A nor Point B but is somewhere well outside the range that I specified. I would assume that the camera / live view would remain at the location where shooting finished.

Sadly, this resulted in me doing manual focus adjustments and shooting each stack one image at a time. This lead to the next issue that I’m seeing… Shooting a stack of images seems to produce a bunch of “bonus” images each time. For example, if I shoot a stack of 7 images, and then import the new stack into Lightroom, there are suddenly 10 images. Of those 10 images, there are three throughout the focus range that don’t change focus. It’s as if the software is producing two images every now and then, for no apparent reason. As a result, I had to manually delete the “bonus” images from each stack.

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed at this stage, not to mention the hours of frustration trying to get this to work and having to manually hack the process to perform the paid shoots I've been contracted for. I'd love to get a resolution to these issues and hope to hear from someone soon.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Various issues with Helicon Remote, new user, support needed

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Disabling quick review in the camera body menu should solve the problem.