Disable file naming

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Horn01

Disable file naming

Post by Horn01 »

Hello

How can I disable file naming in Helicon Remote? I need to leave original file names from camera. I`m working on Canon 6D.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Disable file naming

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It's not something you can disable as Remote doesn't know the original names. Currently, the only way to achieve that is use the "Leave in the camera" download mode. But we intend to support it in "Copy to computer" mode in the future.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

Looks like it's been about 2 years since this question was asked... I haven't seen any obvious way to have the "copy to computer" mode keep the filename from the camera. Has this been implemented as indicated at that time?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

We looked into it and it turned out way too tricky to implement, borderline impossible. We could make it work in some scenarios but not in others, which wouldn't make for a good user experience. So no, it remains unimplemented due to technical complications.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

This is a very desirable feature.

It seems it is not impossible as qDslrDashboard can (now) do it.

Since the camera must have written the file to the card before it is accessed by HR, what is the problem using its name/

The current "prefix" ### format is completely incompatible with any indexing system that relies on unique file names. Unique names are very desirable to identify specific images. This is really important if you have multiple similar focus stacks.

For example, my system is: aaa-nnnnnn where aaa identifies the camera and nnnnnn is the 4 digit number assigned by the camera with a 2 digit prefix that is incremented by 1 each time the camera number goes over 9999. All derivatives of that file bear the same id plus suffixes. Thsi preserves uniqueness and traceability to the original file.

Richard
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

RichJ wrote: 04.12.2022 07:38 Since the camera must have written the file to the card before it is accessed by HR
That's not true, by default (with the "Move to computer" saving mode selected) the images are not created on the memory card. Or if the card is not inserted, regardless of the selected mode. I don't recall whether the in-camera file name is available in this case, quite possibly not and it might have been part of the problem with this feature.

To get unique file names, use the file counter / stack counter templates:

RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Catherine,

I am using copy to, not move. The files are created on the camera card with the correct Nikon formatted serial number (it is the 4 digit number that is critical, not the prefix). Camera is Nikon D850 or D3X.

I need to be able to see the files on the phone while shooting. Not being able properly index them to the in-camera files is a problem.

The file name must be present and available to HR to do the copy.

Richard