charliewittig

Samsung S8 - Connection issue

Post by charliewittig »

I'll start off by pleading ignorance.
Here is what I have:
Samsung S8 running the latest flavor of Android
Canon Rebel T6 1300
Canon USB transfer cable with a USB C adapter to fit the Samsung S8

1. When connected, I get a "camera is not connected" with Helicon Remote running.
2. The S8 shows :"USB charging connected device".
3. If I select either "Transfer files" or Transfer images" from the S8 USB connection options, the screen goes away.
4. I then see in very quick succession: "USB connector disconnected", followed by "USB connector connected", and followed by "USB charging connected device".
5. If I connect a USB mouse using the USB C adapter to the phone, it detects the mouse.

I feel it may be a cable/adapter issue and that they do not play well together.

Before I go buy a dedicated USB C data transfer cable, can anyone help me with any advice.

I appreciate your time and input.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Samsung S8 - Connection issue

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It definitely won't work with a USB C data cable. You must use an OTG case (in your case - USB Type C OTG adapter). Since the mouse is detected, the adapter must be OK. It also sounds like the camera is not detected by the phone itself, which means the problem is not on our end (not in the app).

That leaves one option: your Android has restricted USB support. It's configured to allow some devices (like mice), but not others (like cameras).
Run this app to confirm: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.usbhostdiagnostics